how can I tell if my Mac can burn DL DVDs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
When I click to the drive info it indicates it can burn DL DVD +R discs. But I just failed with a laser error message. (Don't ask what the message was - I can't remember.) Is there another way to find out if things are as reported in About This Mac?

Arthur

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When I click to the drive info it indicates it can burn DL DVD +R discs. But I just failed with a laser error message. (Don't ask what the message was - I can't remember.) Is there another way to find out if things are as reported in About This Mac?

Arthur

Go to:

- Apple Menu
- choose "About this Mac"
- click on the "More Info" button
- in the window that pops up click on "Disc Burning"
- look to the right & it lists all possible disc burning options your computer has

If the Mac you're trying to "burn" discs with has a "Superdrive"...you should be able to burn DL DVD +R discs.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Regardless of how I try, I can never get my iMac to burn DL +R, it always comes with an error as it gets to the layer change.
I have tried Toast and Disk Utility.
I want to test DL -R but they are much harder to find and more expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do a Google on 'notebook DL burner problems'.

Wonder if the compact optical drives in laptops and iMacs have a problem with DL discs anyone know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Do a Google on 'notebook DL burner problems'.

Wonder if the compact optical drives in laptops and iMacs have a problem with DL discs anyone know?

I have tried 3 different brands in mine (Imation, Verbatim and a no name supermarket brand) and every time I get a message in Disk Utility that says incompatible media despite the burner stating it can burn DL +/- discs.
Toast will burn one layer and then spit the disc out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is another reason to do serious burning from within Windows. I don't know whether it's the hardware or OS X (probably a combo of both) but getting dual layer burning to work consistently seems to be a magic art.

Dual layer burning works fine when I switch to Window 7 and use the free Ashampoo Burning Studio application. Also (and this really annoys me) I can not do multi-session recording to DVD media in OS X. Yet, this has been supported in Windows for years.

We all love our Macs but there are some things that could be improved. :Smirk:

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also works just fine in a tower, whether G4, G5 or Mac Pro. I was asking about laptop optical drives as we see so many reports of them failing. Is it because everything is so downsized this presents problems?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
thanks again for the answers, but...

They didn't really help this time. I do know that in windows some computers could preform better with +R discs versus -R discs. I hadn't though of that option. So far the only video project (for my own pleasure) that I've had required a DL. All the rest have fit on a regular +R DVD. I'm only using that because it's the spindle closest to me when I started burning. I can't remember if we have a -R DVD spindle in the apartment. I'll have to look, but, I've not seen -R DL DVDs available! What gives, do I have to do a web search to find a pricy item and then hope it works?

If you have the answer, start an aside, but quote me so I can track this thread!

Thanks for the response I've seen so far!

Arthur

C

chas_m

I burn DL discs every so often -- no problems here. Have you checked the Apple support boards?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.