D-Link DSL-2730B firewall help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I just purchases the above modem router, and set it up using the setup wizard.... No problems there.
I then tried the shields up test, and it failed, where as my last dynalink modem router passed.

This Modem/Router apparently has firewall enabled by default, which I could see here:

I'm guessing there is something that I have setup incorrectly, and would appreciate a push in the right direction.
I am really lost when it comes to networking connections, so baby steps please :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Something's not right there. Any good hardware firewall should look like this:

2010-08-22_2046.png

"stealth" mode means that not only is it closed, but it's not responding at all -- meaning that as far as a port scanner is concerned, there's nothing there at all.

In your case, you are responding on most ports as "closed" (i.e. you reply) and you also are open for traffic on several ports (Telnet, SSH, FTP & HTTP). This is a problem - actually a big one, because you're probably open for remote administration.

I'm not familiar with that specific modem/router combo, but I'd imagine remote administration is enabled and/or the firewall is only partially enabled. What kinds of security options does it offer?

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I don't know enough about what it offers, but here is the link... in the right is a resources tab, which if you click resources, then product manual, it has all the info of which I know not enough about :/

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Don't see a link, but I did go out to D-Link's AU website and couldn't believe how little they had out there in terms of documentation of the security features.

In general, I don't like these combination modem/routers that seem to be all the rage in Europe. Ever heard the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none"? The same goes for these guys (IMO). Did you opt for this one because your ISP didn't supply a modem?

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a Dynalink modem/router which died, and setting this one up was a bit of a pain in the but.
I didn't want to go through hooking up a modem, to a wireless router as it's all to baffling to me, and sounds like it becomes an expensive process.
Yes, I am totally lost when it comes to any of this stuff.
I only use the wireless to run my laptop... no printers, etc.
I hoped that going with this D-link would do the job.
Already have issues with my internet provider and the fluctuating speeds and ping, and now that this router has these security flaws, I feeling like I'm hitting a brick wall ARGH :D
PS
This is the link I meant to provide
D-Link Wireless N 150 ADSL2/2+ Modem Router

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-2730B/Manuals/DSL-2730B_A1_Manual_v1.00.pdf

Just a heads up. That modem/router just has NAT. No true Hardware firewall. Maybe a software firewall like the one in OSX set to Stealth.

EDIT: 6String, your url says SPI firewall. I saw nothing mentioned in the manual from Dlink. Strange as the model numbers match. I wonder if they did some update giving it SPI as there is no mention in that manual I have.

I got the manual so I could tell you which settings to change to make it stealth then ran into no SPI even though that data sheet says it does have it.

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried it with the OS X firewall, and still got the same results :(
On the Phone with them now, and feels like this call is going to end with no joy :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
DLink DIR-655 with security settings out of the box. I updated the firmware but made no changes in the stock SPI Firewall settings.

Picture 2.jpg

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looky look guys... Success

Would you believe something as as simple router restore to factory settings, and using the setup wizard again to set it up fixed it?

Thanks heaps for wasting your time with me.... really appreciate it :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then yours MUST have SPI like the URL you provided says. I wonder what is up with the Manual I downloaded?

Glad you got it working!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.