Re Fat32 Thumbdrives...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
Am I correct in thinking that a 4 Gig USB Thumbdrive, when formatted as fat32, will enable me to read and write files to it from Snow Leopard to Windows and Vice Versa?

In other words its compatible with both unlike say NFTS, where I can read a file on the mac, but I cannot write a file back to it?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You can write to a NTFS formatted device but it requires third party applications. Keep in mind that FAT32 has limitations such as only being able to write 4GB of data to the formatted device.

C

chas_m

Just to be sure CR's answer is perfectly clear, what he means is that FAT32 doesn't support *files* larger than 4GB. Drives and folders and such can be >4GB, just not a single *file.*

Not everyone is aware of this because, apart from apps and AV type files, individual files are rarely that large.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
Cool. Thats what I thought from google etc, but the answers were from 2007 / 2008

I wanted a definitive answer dated as of 'Now'... So thanks. Im off to the shop :)

PS I know about the large file limit, but I am just transferring small files :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.