Syncing is Unsyncsational

Reaction score
i just tried to sync my first movie from my desktop iMac to my Apple TV. I am probably going to have to shave again before it is finished syncing. I did a Google search and found that many people had a terrible time with syncing speed. I see discussions of 802.11n vs 802.11g and that there may be a compatibility issue between one and the other, but I don't know how to ascertain what my Linksys router is or how to fix it if it is not the same as Apple TV. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Do you know what the model number is for your Linksys router? If not, then do you know how to get into your router's configuration page? This is where you enter 192.168.1.1 into a browser. You might be able to find out whether the router is 802.11g or 802.11n, and if not, you should at least be able to find out your router's model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Th ATV will do either G or N depending on what your network can do. Yes it tends to be slow, and the bigger your library the longer it will take.

OP
S
Reaction score
My router is a Linksys WRT54G, which as the name suggests, is a 802.11g. Is there any tweaking I can possibly do via firmware\software, or do I just need to bite the bullet and get a faster router? It's been 3 hours and it still hasn't synced my one 1.65gb movie!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unfortunately, short of hard wiring the AppleTV to your router, there's really no other way to squeeze more speed out of that router. If you want faster network performance (i.e. file transfers), then you're going to have to shell out for a faster router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.