Tweaking / Speeding Up the OSX GUI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
Ok, I recently bought a Mac to use in addition to my Linux machine. It is not the fastest Mac in the world, but it was inexpensive. (G4 800Mhz, 512MB RAM). One thing that I have noticed is that everything seems a little sluggish and much slower than my linux machine and my windows machine at work. I am wondering if I can turn off some of the "eye candy" and perhaps make the system a little more "snappy."

The version of OS X that I have is 10.2, and I have downloaded all of the updates.

Any suggestions for speeding things up?

Thanks a bunch.

K

Kokopelli

This is not a tweak but upgrade to 10.3 or 10.4. This will give you a speed boost.

Generally OS X does not feel as snappy as Linux or Windows. Further as near as I can figure (something of a newbie myself) OS X is not very tweakable. I am sure there are some tweaks but nothing that will yield significant improvements.

OP
timswim78
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
technologist said:
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/performance.html is pretty good. Some of the tips there probably won't help much, and some are not applicable to 10.2.x, but most of them will help.

That was a good site. Thanks for the link. I downloaded two utilities from it:
Cocktail and Tinkertool

Additionally, I found a application called Mousezoom that allows you to really speed up your mouse's tracking.

After disabling some eye candy and adjusting the mouse, I feel as though the GUI is much more responsive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.