Installing a new OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 800mhz, 256 MB RAM, 80 gig HD
Another question in relation to my last thread. If I am not able to get the install disks that originally came with my machine, can I upgrade the OS and get the same effect? Or do I have to start with the original OS and upgrade from there? Secondly, how do I find out which OS will be compatible with my machine. I think the original is OS 9 and it's running OS X 10.3.something now. The tech specs are 800mhz processor and 256RAM. This is a starter Mac...I'll buy a better one once I get the hang of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What type of processor? It has to be an Intel chip to run Snow Leopard, which is the only commercially available Mac OS version at this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes OS X.4 Tiger will install on your whatever 800MHz. It is too slow for Leopard, and boost up the memory to at least 1GB. OS X.4 disks are not cheap, around the $100.00 mark and make sure you do NOT purchase any silver grey model specific discs. You need the black full retail install DVD.

And provide more details on your Mac - a G4 iMac, or G4 Quicksilver tower or G4 PowerBook, Makes it ewasier to assist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.