how do your broadband choices work for you?

Reaction score
Hello All,

Please help me stop the insanity!

I currently use dialup, the dinosaur of connections. I have a once in a life time chance to buy the iMac of my dreams. (27")

If you could change your connection, what would you choose? (or are you happy with what you have and why?) DSL, FIOS, Cable, or Wireless? I am overwhelmed. Obviously I want the best that would work for me but It seems I can't try anything without a contract. How did you choose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Disclaimer: I do NOT work for and am not associated with FIOS to any capacity.

If you have FIOS in your area, don't even hesitate for one second. I have friends whom are SO happy to have ditched Time Warner, Cable Vision because of several reasons:

1. TV- Tired of choppy freezing garbled playback ? You know.. the kind that makes a person sound like their voice is being chopped up by a digital processor ? No issues with this on FIOS

2. Want an actual intuitive and FEATURE packed media experience with your TV and remote setup ? We are all familiar with the totally lack luster setup we get with cable boxes from ANY cable network. FIOS introduces a totally new type of GUI that is intuitive and feature rich. You'd have to see it to know what I'm saying.

3. Tired of re-booting your cable modem all the time ? Tired of having a cruddy wif-fi connection with your cable connection ? The FIOS guys will work with you in your house to set up the most efficient install for YOU. You can even opt to have two separate lines (a bit more $) so that you have dedicated bandwidth for data.

The speed, clarity and overall interface of the FIOS package just craps ALL over any of the cable or satellite co's out there from what I've seen. And you know what, I'm really happy that Verizon is doing this because the cable companies have pretty much held their customers hostage with cruddy service all around, and could never be held accountable. Maybe this will finally force them to get their acts together.

By the way, I actually used to work for Time Warner and don't have anything bad to say about them, personally. I've had their service for years and honestly never really had much to complain about except for what you kind of get used to and what you come to expect with cable. But when you see how different things are with FIOS, you're like.. ."***.. really?"

Again, I don't work for Verizon/FIOS. I'm just a witness giving an honest opinion from personal experience.

Doug

OP
can't sleep
Reaction score
Deae Doug B!
Thank you for your from the heart feedback. Fios is certainly an option but again not available with ou contract. Don't really watch t.v. Usually online or out and about. Don't have a cable modem. I'm not familiar with Time Warner. My Bad, the big boys in Michigan are AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, and Wow. Others? How did you choose? In a contract? Glad or Sad?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved to appropriate forum, nothing to do with Community suggestions /comments.

OP
can't sleep
Reaction score
Hope this will help!

First: Thanks for visiting this space. Wish I had a difinitive answer for you. I don't.

What I've decided: Have AT&T for land line. Will seek out DSL High Speed Connection. Don't know which, as I have not checked out download caps yet. Will have to buy DSL modem, but does not seem to be a big deal, as I would have to pay 5.00 per month to lease from cable. I have chosen computer time over having TV time. I can always watch movies (library) or look into streaming.

(Thank you again, Doug B. for the only one responding) Was hoping for more history here but it just seems to come down to your best guess and needs. Wish I could try before I buy. Everything is contract. Anything has got to be better than dial-up if you have a choice. Good luck to us all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.