Most songs play thru AirTunes, some do not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
It's the weirdest thing, and it just started not too long ago (month maybe?) on my iMac.
I am running the latest firmware, have been since it came out in December - nothing has changed with my wireless network, it's odd:
I could be playing a song thru AirTunes into my stereo, works great, then the next song comes on and it switches back to computer speakers (Even though "Living Room", my AirTunes name is shown) and then the following song will be played back on AirTunes.

While the song that "doesn't work" is playing I can select Computer Speakers or "Living Room" and it doesn't make a difference. I have narrowed it down to select songs. I can play them over and over again and they will not stream to my stereo, yet others will. I'm serious, it is certain songs, same stats as others, 128kbps Stereo MP3 files yet, for example, Dixie Chicks - Traveling Soldier will not stream, neither will certain select Weezer songs among others. It doesn't even say "Connecting to Living Room" until I find a song that DOES stream.

Something is actually keeping it from streaming. I've searched around and can't find any clues as to what is causing this.

Any ideas are appreciated, this is a little annoying... :p

OH, the only thing I can think of is that I upgraded to iTunes 4.9, before that it didn't have this problem.

From my PowerBook, I can access my iMac's shared library, and stream the same music file to my stereo and it works, yet from the iMac it doesn't. ODD!!! I may try a re-install of iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I don't know the solution to your problem, but for the sake of trying something I'm playing Travellin' Soldier right now, which is MP3 encoded, from iTunes 4.9, and mine is playing fine through Airtunes. This probably doesn't help you much, but it's the best I can do!

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thermidor said:
I don't know the solution to your problem, but for the sake of trying something I'm playing Travellin' Soldier right now, which is MP3 encoded, from iTunes 4.9, and mine is playing fine through Airtunes. This probably doesn't help you much, but it's the best I can do!

Yeah I tried the same song from my PowerBook and it worked on 4.9, I dunno what the deal is.... Weird.

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've made a couple attachments to this reply, with "Living Room" selected, I can play most songs and it connects as shown in Picture 1. When I play other songs such as "Traveling Soldier" for example, and I get what you see in Picture 2, no "Connecting" (even if I select "Computer" and back to "Living Room" again). And it's always the same songs.

It works on my PowerBook, it works on my Dell Inspiron 8200, same songs work on those laptops. Short of reformatting the iMac, which I won't do because this just isn't enough cause :) , I have nothing else to try other than rip the tunes again but I thought I'd try to find a solution to this one... :p

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IanCT said:
II have nothing else to try other than rip the tunes again but I thought I'd try to find a solution to this one... :p

I ripped the songs again, and it works. The old ones still don't. Odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
very odd
have you changed your importing preferences lately?

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macAttack said:
very odd
have you changed your importing preferences lately?

Nope, but even if I did, anything iTunes can play should play it through AirTunes. Re-ripping the song at the same settings before has proven to work, but why the initial ones didn't I don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
It could be something with built in licensing or something? Dunno.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
have you played with equalizer and maybe set up the stuff all werid?

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iLEFTOVERCRACK said:
have you played with equalizer and maybe set up the stuff all werid?

Nah, cuz if I click another song it works fine. Doesn't matter, I re-ripped 'em and it works fine. Didn't change any settings.

Reaction score
Okay, I know this thread is from 4 years ago, but I just had this problem and found this thread, so maybe it'll help other people who find it, too.

I had this same problem with a given song would always play over computer speakers. I noticed that under the "Kind" column, they said "QuickTime" instead of "MPEG". Here's how to fix it:

Select a song that doesn't play and choose File > Show in Finder

All the songs that wouldn't play for me had a ".mpg" extension instead of ".mp3" for some reason. Once I changed them to .mp3, they worked!

Of course, it only worked because they really were mp3s, but just had the wrong file extension. :)

Reaction score
Possible Answer

thanx toastysken for helping me a long way.
I was having the same problem with iTunes. playing most over airtunes, but some not.
I started looking at the extensions of the files of those that didnt work. None were .mp3
Some were saved as .mp4 (MPEG) instead of .mp3 (Quicktime).
Still this didnt explain all the files.
.flac is an extension used in the music industry which keeps the quality of the songs. its uncompressed. itunes wont play this, unless you install Fluke and add the files through fluke to you library. all of these files can not be played over itunes and will have to be converted too.
Its a pity, but makes sense too. The data to be send (the files are 10x the mp3 size) to the airport would be immense.

Hope this solves it for all. If not, post it!

Reaction score
Converting to AAC worked for me

I had this same problem with a single song out of my 30gb collection. I didn't have the original so I couldn't re-rip. It seemed to have the right extensions and everything.

What fixed it for me is that I converted it to AAC in iTunes and just deleted the original mp4. Now it plays just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.