Airport Express or Extreme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I have a Linksys wireless ADSL router I bought to replace my lousy Netgear one. Now the Linksys is playing up, and I'm becoming totally underimpressed by the whole Linksys experience - although it's been fine until now, I'm learning that their hardware is quite flaky (google on WAG54G for example opinions), their firmware is frankly poor, and their support isn't great either.

So I'm going to move back to good ol' Apple hardware (motto: "You pay more, but it actually works") and get an Airport Extreme or Express. I already have an Express connected to the hi-fi, for Airtunes, and it seems to be the way forward, even though I'll have to buy a separate ADSL modem.

I basically need DHCP and Port Forwarding to support 3 clients and a web server (Windoze) all on wireless connections. Is there any reason I need an Extreme rather than just getting another Express? I'm not too bothered about modem access or wired connections.

Thanks,
David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Not really:

The Extreme will support up to 50 clients whilst the express "only" has support for 10.
The Extreme comes in a version that can be powered directly through ethernet (so no extra power adapter to contend with - but that version is even more expensive.

You already mentioned the ADSL modem bit...

So basically: No - get the Express, it'll do the job fine...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.