iwork versus idisk

GNR

Reaction score
I don't get the intended differences and uses of iwork versus idisk. It wuld seem that there needs to only be one and that one would be iwork since that is the only thing Pages can import and export from

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
iDisk and iWork are two very different things. iDisk allows you to host files online while iWork is an office suite.

C

chas_m

Did the OP perhaps mean iWork.com instead of iDisk? That's all I can figure out, since an iDisk and iWork are such totally different things he could not possibly mean what he actually asked.

OP
G

GNR

Reaction score
[[Did the OP perhaps mean iWork.com instead of iDisk? ]]\\Yes, I am a dolt. That is what I meant. The target/spource in iPad Pages "Share via iWork.com"

Sorry for confusion

C

chas_m

Yay! I'm psychic!

Wait ... if I'm psychic, why didn't I already know that? :)

Anyway, your question on the differences between iWork.com and iDisk more or less comes down to collaboration.

With iWork.com, I only have to upload my Pages document once. The recipient -- or more importantly, many recipients if I wish -- can get it in Pages format (if they use Pages themselves), Word format (if they're on a PC) or PDF (if they're not needed to "mess" with it and just want to read it). That's handy.

Also, they can easily attach comments to the file (as opposed to putting comments in the body of the file, which is sometimes not preferable). Finally, I think the interface is un-intimidating for some people.

With iDisk, I can easily post a document for someone to download, but trying to make that document available to mass numbers of people can be difficult. Also, I'd have to post a "Mac" and "PC" version (depending on what I was working on of course). And there's no function for comments/notes.

Hopefully that makes the differences clearer. I believe at some point in the future (who knows when), Apple will substantially beef up iWork.com to make it more distinct (and probably more business-oriented).

OP
G

GNR

Reaction score
Good explanation.

With no USB or SD card all I need is temporary external backup. I use "email to myself" for that purpose now. Which, really, is not that bad of a solution.

But I hope you are right aboout this:

" ... I believe at some point in the future (who knows when), Apple will substantially beef up iWork.com to make it more distinct (and probably more business-oriented). "

OP
G

GNR

Reaction score
Ps

I like the way Microsoft Live intergrates with the program and you can open from and save to it just as simply as if it was a disk drive. I hope the iPad iWorks trilogy eventually gets to something that simple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.