Wireless Backup Engima?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Black, Early 2008), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4, 500 MB Time Capsule
Hello,

I'm about to got to college in less than a month right now I back up my MacBook on a Time Capsule using Time Machine that creates a home network at my house. And now i'm in between a rock and a hard place for what to do with my transition to college involving my backup solution. I want to still wirelessly backup my computer(that involves not plugging into my computer, I'd prefer not using wireless adapter, but if I have to I will). But, the school i'm going to doesn't allow routers and require registration for any computer to use its network :Angry:. But now with my preferences and my school rules, I'm stuck and now I don't know what to do. Should I bring my router and try to match my MAC address or to set up an backup off sight?

What is the best solution for this situation?

Thanks again in advance!

P.S. I don't want to use a paid subscription service because I want to have personal access to the drive i'm backing up to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can just use your time capsule as you do now but don't connect it to the college network.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Black, Early 2008), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4, 500 MB Time Capsule
You can just use your time capsule as you do now but don't connect it to the college network.

But how can I do wireless backups when I can't connect it to the internet with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Time Capsule is actually 2 devices. A wireless disk and a router. Just plug it into the power and use it as a wireless disk for time machine backups. Use your college network for internet

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time Capsule is actually 2 devices. A wireless disk and a router. Just plug it into the power and use it as a wireless disk for time machine backups. Use your college network for internet

But does it still need to join a wireless network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't join a network, it creates one that your MacBook joins. Exactly as it does now.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't join a network, it creates one that your MacBook joins. Exactly as it does now.

But I can't connect the time capsule to the internet, which is required to create the network.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Connection to the Internet is not necessary to create the network. If you set things up correctly the Time Capsule will create a network between it and your Mac.

Can't talk you though the specific steps at the moment since I don't have that screen in front of me but essentially you create a new wireless network. Since the Capsule isn't connected to the internet you would need to use the school's network as has been suggested.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Connection to the Internet is not necessary to create the network. If you set things up correctly the Time Capsule will create a network between it and your Mac.

Can't talk you though the specific steps at the moment since I don't have that screen in front of me but essentially you create a new wireless network. Since the Capsule isn't connected to the internet you would need to use the school's network as has been suggested.

When you get the chance can you give me the link so I can accomplish this?

Thanks again

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks mrplow. I was wondering how best to explain that. BTW Do you remember the Mr. Plow theme song? Bonus question "Who was the Plow King?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sadly, yes I do. And it was Barney.... And if I ever get me hands on him ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, or fortunately depending upon how you look at it, I only remember a bit of the song. I think I have watched too many Simpsons episodes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.