HELP! Connecting Remotely To Macbook Pro

Reaction score
This problem first arose when trying to set up MyNZB for the iphone.

I was having trouble connecting. I have tried several ports, firewall is off and all ports are forwarded.

So then i tried Wake on Wan and Remote desktop connection and still no luck.

There must be something blocking me out on my mac becuase i can connect to other pc's on my network

Any ideas? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
No experience with MyNZB or Wake or anything like that.

However, for remote login you need to enable the feature in your System Preferences under Sharing.

What are you trying to connect from?

OP
S
Reaction score
Sherri quite

No experience with MyNZB or Wake or anything like that.

However, for remote login you need to enable the feature in your System Preferences under Sharing.

What are you trying to connect from?

Thanks for the reply.

Im trying to connect from either a windows PC or preferably an iPhone

macosx-system-preferences-sharing.png

What do i need to have checked?

C

chas_m

"remote" login, particularly for the purposes of this discussion, means from outside your local network, ie using the internet to connect.

If that's what you're trying to do, then the problem most likely is that you don't have your real "external" ip. The screen shot you provided (thank you!) only shows your local ip (192.etc). You must find out what port you need to open on your router's firewall and open/forward them after connecting to your real ip.

OP
S
Reaction score
ganged un

"remote" login, particularly for the purposes of this discussion, means from outside your local network, ie using the internet to connect.

If that's what you're trying to do, then the problem most likely is that you don't have your real "external" ip. The screen shot you provided (thank you!) only shows your local ip (192.etc). You must find out what port you need to open on your router's firewall and open/forward them after connecting to your real ip.

that wasnt a screenshot from my machine. I dont have it with me now

I have my External I.P with all neccesary ports forwarded

Do i need to check Apple remote desktop aswel?

C

chas_m

No, that's just the "client" portion of ARD (the "server" portion is very expensive).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Not quite true, remote login specifically enables ssh to your computer. If you disable this option, you won't be able to login to the machine even from a local network, let alone over the internet.

I'm just not sure if it has any effect on other protocols besides ssh, I don't rly use anything else :-(

@OP
In the same pref panel there is an option of Screen Sharing ... this is the same as Remote Desktop on a Windows system, except it works ONLY between Macs. You cannot use Windows Remote Login to connect to you Mac

There is a curious little app called Teamviewer which was recently brought to my attention, can't give you any feed back though, since I've never used it other then a single test connection. It's an application designed to provide remote access between any systems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.