imac G4 700mhz installing 10.5 w/ a formatted hard drive, man did I dig myself a hole

Reaction score
The short version:
imac g4, 700mhz, hard drive is completely formatted. 10.5 requires 867mhz to install. I'm using these instructions, but can't boot to the cd using "boot cd:,\\:tbxi" or option key on bootup. I can boot a CD as long as I don't use OpenFirmware to fake the processor first.

The long version:
So, I recently got my hands on an imac g4, or as you might remember, an iLamp. Man is this thing cool. I got it for free under one condition, nuke the hard drive, being a veteran Linux user and a newbie to macs I went the path I was most familiar with and wiped the whole hard drive for Linux. I figure everything after is a learning experience ;D

Here's the skinny. Now I want to install 10.5 on the thing. I obtained a copy of the OS, and followed these instructions. My only snafu was not being able to boot using "boot cd:,\\:tbxi" and had to mac-boot to yaboot (a PPC debian version of grub that came with my Linux) and then boot to CD.

I get into the thing and realize it's not recognizing the hard drive. I decide that clearly this must be because the things now partioned in my Linux ext3 file system as oppose to whatever voodo OSX uses, and that the installer would never thing to look for ext3. So I open disk utility on the install disk and reformat it the Mac way. After a few freezes, pram resets, and pulled hairs I manage to properly nuke the hard drive the mac way and reboot.

Now heres my deleima. I can't boot the install disk using "boot cd:,\\:tbxi" or the option key after I've used openfirmware to change the processor. Any way I can force this action?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Wait, you're trying to hack your way into installing 10.5 on a machine that the OS itself doesn't support? Good luck with that.

C

chas_m

Even if I could help you -- which sadly I can't -- the Leopard "experience" probably wouldn't be that great. Those system req's are there for a reason, generally speaking.

Put 10.4.11 on it (at least for now), max out the RAM if you can (don't forget thermal grease for the interior RAM) and make the most of it. Most everything Apple has out like iTunes and Safari 5 runs on 10.4.11 and that machine wasn't meant to last forever anyway.

OP
R
Reaction score
It's not that underpowered, it runs linux just fine, but then again Linux can run on anything just fine. Maybe my best bet is to partition the hard drive and dual boot. Thanks guys, especially for the advice on the thermal grease.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
LeopardAssist works great. I used it to install 10.5 on a 733 Mhz PowerMac Quicksilver. No issues.

Just a warning, don't expect 10.5 to FLY on a 700Mhz G4. That is why Apple chose 867 Mhz for the cut off. BUT it will install and run pretty well for most basic uses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.