macbook won't connect to netgear, please help!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am house sitting for my aunt for the next 3 months. The house uses a NETGEAR router. She has left me a wep key password so that I can connect to the network using my own macbook.

My mac will recognise the NETGEAR network, but it asks for a WPA password. My aunt is sure that she doesn't have any other passwords besides the WEP key she has written down for me. I have tried putting the WEP key password in when it asks for a WPA password but to no avail.

Any ideas? I don't think I can survive being without laptop internet for 3 months!

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The network you're trying to log on is probably using WPA if your machine is asking for a WPA password.

WEP keys are a series of hexadecimal characters: 12345678AA is an example of a 10 character hexadecimal key. If that's the type you're positive she's using, then try to place a dollar sign in front of the key. Example:
$12345678AA

Also - important: Make sure you're trying to log in to the correct network. Your Aunt should have a name for her network, for example: "Aunt Mary"

If you're trying to log on to another network it may be that other network is using WPA.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.