I think I may be the first...

• Thread starter nyrangerfan5490
  • Start date
N

nyrangerfan5490

I have just realized not many people have problems connecting to the internet with airport..but my new ibook just doesnt want to seem to connect.

I ran through the setup, it recognizes the netowrk, I put in the correct WEP key, but it doesnt want to connect to the internet even though it says 'connected to (my network)'. Ihave a Hawking Technology router...I didnt realize this before but do I need a apple Base Station to connect as shown in the diagram in my users guide?? thanks for the help

OP
K

Kokopelli

No a good number of us use non Apple base stations. You are connected but are you getting an IP?

OP
N

nyrangerfan5490

Im not sure how can I find that out? Im new to mac by the way so thanks for your patience.. :mac:

OP
B

badmojo

Make sure your router is not firewalled, too. That is, turn off the firewall and see if you can connect.

OP
T

Tel

I had a few problems setting up my network (mostly with windows machines), the only solution I could find was to use WPA Personal encryption using a password, not a pre shared key. Worth a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
nyrangerfan5490 said:
I have a Hawking Technology router...I didnt realize this before but do I need a apple Base Station to connect as shown in the diagram in my users guide?? thanks for the help

They are both wireless routers. You shouldn't need an Apple product per sae.

OP
L

Lonestar

I had a bit of trouble getting my wireless ap / router (802.11g) set up with my mac. The problem was in what security was supported by each. With wep 64 or 128 bit encryption my connection was super slow. With a wpa passphrase things seemed to work infinitely better. Remember that when you are setting up your ap that you may need to change the name of the ap when you make a significant change to the security setup, so that your mac doesn't attempt to use the wrong data (that is, if you stored it in your keychain).

You can also check your ip address easily by looking in your network settings, under airport->tcp/ip, or by opening terminal and typing 'ifconfig en1' ([without the quotes] en0 is typically the ethernet card, iirc, and en1 should be the wireless card). It should show a line in the output of the command that says something like:

inet 172.204.109.116 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 172.204.255.255

Where inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your ip address. This line shouldn't be there if you are not getting an ip address from your router's dhcp. Oh, and don't worry - that's not my real ip :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.