Photoshop (Shift+Scroll=FastScroll) Toggle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box
Hi,
I'm having a really annoying problem in photoshop CS 4 and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

So, this has been a problem ever since I got my magic mouse. In case you don't know, you can slide your finger across any part of the mouse and it will scroll. Keep that in mind

Also Keep in mind that when you hold the shift button in photoshop and scroll it goes really fast.

So, in Photoshop, whenever I use the marquee tool to select multiple objects I have to hold down the shift button in order to select multiple things, but if I move my finger the slightest on top of the mouse while trying to select an area it scrolls to the other side of the picture.

Sorry if that didn't make much sense, but it's really hard to explain.

Anyway, what I want to do is make it so photoshop doesn't make my mouse scroll faster when I have the shift button pressed.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Reaction score
prusill Cabanel

i have the same problem. know exactly what you mean. got a solution already?
i'm trying to find it for quiet a while now, nobody could help me so far.

OP
Yffum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I haven't found anything. It's getting pretty annoying. And I realize it's not just a problem with the Magic Mouse because lets say I'm zoomed in and using the marquee to select multiple areas by holding shift - if I decide the area I want to select is a little off the screen and I move my cursor to the edge, instead of slowly scrolling the document in that direction it will go flying all the way to that end of the document.

Again, it's hard to explain, but all I need to know is how to make photoshop not scroll faster when I hold the shift button.

Reaction score
shift fast scroll

same problem,
with shift you scroll in 3 steps, left of the document middle of the document, right of the document . fast scroll is wrong term

but you'll do it with just a fringe of movement of your finger.

found on some forums the answer to turn of scrolling with the magic mouse, but that is not an option. becasue witout the shift its works perfectly.

i think i'm going to buy me a magic trackpad and turn of mouse scroll with magic mouse (Magic Trackpad - Apple Store (U.S.)).

that's the solution i prefer, one hand mouse one hand trackpad. with the trackpad you can scroll even better i guess, i'll get back on this if i actually have one,
i let you know. trackpad ordered... 1 to 2 weeks left...

OP
Yffum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for correcting me on the fast scroll thing.

I actually have a pretty new MacBook Pro with the same trackpad technology as the Magic Trackpad so I could use your setup if I wanted. However I find the scroll feature very useful and use it all the time with my mouse. Plus, there's still the problem that I stated before when you put your cursor to the edge of the screen while holding shift.

Only if there were some way to disable this dumb shift+scroll thing in photoshop.

By the way, what do you mean by with the trackpad you can scroll better?

Reaction score
found this on a other forum:

Just installed MouseZoom(Ben Net - MouseZoom OS X Official Site) after hearing about it on this video blog entry on YouTube(YouTube - YTC001 - Wacom BamBoo and Magic Mouse).

It's only been a few minutes, so I can't say with 100% certainty that I'm completely fixed, but everything seems to be working as intended now. No more twitchy tracking, no more cursor jumping across the screen in InDesign. Everything is smooth.

didn't test it yet, let me know,

OP
Yffum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, I just want to say, I tried MouseZoom and it doesn't seem to make any difference (and I'm not quite sure why it would) so this problem is still at large if anybody can help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.