Apple Bumper starting to crack

Reaction score
After one week with the (white) bumper case on my iPhone 4, the plastic has cracked on all four outer corners (straight across the curved edges hairline cracks). I just noticed this today. I have kept the case on my phone since I received it and never have dropped the phone with the case on. Anyone else experience this with a bumper?

EDIT: Added pictures, a few are hard to see because they are like I said hairline cracks.

2iasgo7.jpg

a3hz6a.jpg

9uro82.jpg

2kervc.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
yikes... that's not good. (i just ordered one -black- last night via the free bumper one), have you contacted apple ?

keep us posted..

OP
A
Reaction score
yikes... that's not good. (i just ordered one -black- last night via the free bumper one), have you contacted apple ?

keep us posted..

No, not yet. I just noticed it about ten minutes ago. I first thought it was dirt, but no they are hairline cracks. It has only been in room temperature conditions (60-65 degrees) so it can't be due to temperature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
that is not good...

especially since i expect i may have to remove mine on a regular bases since i got the Apple dock for the iPhone 4.

knowing Apple, they won't give you a hard time, you may have to wait for it though since the demand seems to be pretty high :}

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I think they are all like that. I noticed it in the store as well. Dare I say: Non-issue. Hold it in a different way? ;)

OP
A
Reaction score
I think they are all like that. I noticed it in the store as well. Dare I say: Non-issue. Hold it in a different way? ;)

So I guess Apple will tell me they are the separators that allow the plastic to breathe and that it is genius engineering? ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All joking aside, when I bought mine, I had about 7 or 8 of them on the wall in black and white. Every white one I looked at had the cracks/seams/whatever. I didn't check the black ones. I mentioned it to the Apple salesperson and she looked puzzled and shrugged after checking them as well. I needed a bumper and they were only lasting about an hour each day they came in stock. She didn't seem worried, though she did seem a bit surprised. I assumed they were made that way for expansion, or to keep them from breaking in a jagged manner if twisted. Then again, maybe someone sat on a whole big box of them in the warehouse they ship them from. Go figure!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

"You are holding it wrong" "You are also looking at it wrong" ! :D

The holes let in the AT&T Signal! :D

Sorry, needed a laugh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
I noticed these small lines in the picture of the white bumper in the free case program app. I can't say whether or not they were actual cracks or just seams from them being made but I did notice lines like I see in your pictures. Are they really straight cracks or do they look like smooth cuts maybe made that way to allow some flexibility so it wouldn't crack since the plastic is so thin. Please keep us posted if you talk to Apple about this. I ordered the belkin clear case from the free case app, but I am interested in also getting a bumper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey man. Every time you laugh at Apple, a beautiful little cherub loses his wings! LOL

Reaction score
Weird. Mines fine and I remove it from the phone a few times a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4

whahahhahaha.... niiiice :}

(hoping mine won't have it.. i'm very particular :}

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
Looks like a mould line to me, not a crack.

Reaction score
Man.....not even one "Well you shouldn't have been tossing it around" or something to that effect. Congrats on not getting attacked, called a liar, etc.

OP
A
Reaction score
Are they really straight cracks or do they look like smooth cuts maybe made that way to allow some flexibility so it wouldn't crack since the plastic is so thin. Please keep us posted if you talk to Apple about this.

Looks like a mould line to me, not a crack.

Yes, they are straight lines which lends me to believe they might be like Mickyfin suggests, mould lines. These are not smooth to the touch. I run my finger across each one and you can feel them. I don't remember seeing them when I first put the case on but good point about allowing the plastic to stretch easier with multiple pieces of plastic as opposed to just one piece.

Weird. Mines fine and I remove it from the phone a few times a week.

So you have no "mould lines" on yours straight across the outer curved corners? Which color bumper do you have?

I am still interested in hearing from others with different colored bumpers just so I know if they are made this way or if this is a defect. Anyway I'll be calling my local Apple store later today.

I did take the bumper off, the "mould lines" go straight through to the inside. Two of them are very prominent, the other two are not as prominent but they are there. I'll post pictures of the inside portion of my white Apple bumper tonight.

Reaction score
Lol, I just looked and yes I have the mould lines! Only noticed because you asked!

OP
A
Reaction score
Lol, I just looked and yes I have the mould lines! Only noticed because you asked!

Thanks for that. I spoke with my local Apple store and the rep had a black bumper. They looked really hard and found "mould lines" on theirs as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.