Time Machine- What Modem?

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a Time Machine and couple it with a Draytek Vigor 120 True PPOE ADSL/2+ Modem, it's time to junk my old wi-fi ADSL2 router, as we now have all Apple hardware, Macpro's, iPhones, etc. My question is whether this modem is good enough as it is not Dual Band, do you know of a Dual Band modem that is acceptable. If it makes any difference at all I am in, or near the UK. this is my first post so apologies for any error's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What do you mean by dual band? I looked up the Vigor 120 - and it is just a modem. I believe that you are looking to buy a Time Capsule - Time Machine is the backup solution that comes with Apple. That being said - if I read the specifications right the Time Capsule should work with it as it is a PPPoA to PPPoE bridge - and the Time Capsule does PPPoE - but it also depends on your ISP. If that modem works with your ISP - then it seems any router that does PPPoE would handle the job. The Time Capsule is a pretty good deal as you get a 3 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch, a USB to Ethernet Hub, a router, a dual band wifi basestation, and Network Attached storage. Price that out separately or look for other solutions that are comparable and you'll see that the Time Capsule is a good value.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for your reply. i was meaning a 2.4ghz/5ghz Modem, as I understand it, Time Machine is an Airport Express with Hard Drive built in for wi-fi backup,and also a router, but to enable it to connect to my ADSL provider I need a wired modem???

OP
P
Reaction score
Apologies

Sorry, I am getting my names mixed up, I am considering a 1TB TIME CAPSULE..........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You will need a Modem - which is a WAN to LAN device. Since you are using ADSL - you need to find a Modem that attaches to your ISP. Generally you want a stand alone Modem - and then have a router that acts as your main NAT and Gateway. Lately ISPs have been making all in one routers/modems - but for greatest flexibility you want just a modem - which is usually wired to your ISP.

Again - if the Vigor works with your ISP - then the Time Capsule should be able to connect through the Vigor via PPPoE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.