Does iPhone's slow down network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33(Snow Leopard)
Hi there.

Once I listened in a MacFormat Podcast that iPhone's connecting to modem's that doesn't support 802.11n standart slow down the general speed on the network.

Is it really true? If a switch to a modern modem that supports all the standards would I get better speeds when an iPhone is connected?

C

chas_m

If you have an 802.11n single-band wireless router set to b/g/n compatibility and no OTHER non-"N" devices on it, then yes an older non-"N" compatible iPhone will bring down the overall speed. Otherwise, no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I agree with chas_m.

Any b or g rated device that connects to an N rated network will bring the speed down to b/g.

By using a dual-band router you can create a b/g or just g network AND an N network so you can connect your devices to the appropriate network based on thier capability.

One of the alternatives to getting a new router is to add an N rated device capable of creating it's own network and attach that by cable to your existing kit.

E.g. you could connect an Airport Express to your b/g router and have it create an N wireless network for your N devices and retain your existing G network too.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you have an 802.11n single-band wireless router set to b/g/n compatibility and no OTHER non-"N" devices on it, then yes an older non-"N" compatible iPhone will bring down the overall speed. Otherwise, no.

That slowdown is not permanent but only during the time the non-N device is actually using the network correct?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That slowdown is not permanent but only during the time the non-N device is actually using the network correct?

I think it would be more accurate to say, while the non-n device is connected to the network. Although, I wouldn't swear to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It's also important to note that the iPhone 4 does support 802.11n but only on the 2.4ghz band, not 5ghz which can make a difference on how people choose to structure their network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.