iPhone 4 Return Experiences... Post Here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
For those who for whatever reason, have decided to return their iPhone 4, I'd like to start a thread so we can see how the experience evolves. I'm not looking to slam the iPhone 4 here - there are plenty of threads available for axe grinders. I'm just interested in folk's experiences with their iPhone 4 returns. I'll start...

On Monday evening July 12th, I called AT&T to request a RMA to return the for for a refund. This was before the iPhone event on the 16th, so I'm interested in seeing if I get a full refund or get the 10% restocking fee applied. No big deal on the fee as I agreed to the fee when I bought the phone originally. Additionally, on the 12th I took my 3G to a local AT&T Wireless store and the put a new SIM into the device and reactivated it - free of charge. The 3G works just fine and I am happy with it for the time being.
On Tuesday the 13th, I printed out my RMA label and mailed my iPhone 4 back via USPS Mail. The shipping label supplied by AT&T via email was pre-paid by AT&T i.e. it cost me nothing. The AT&T folks asked no leading questions, and were very polite and accommodating on the phone. They took receipt of it on July 14th and I haven't received any status update as of yet. Apparently, at least for phone sold by AT&T, some company called Newgistics in Fort Worth, TX 76177, is handling the returns. I haven't received any updates since the 14th on the return, nor have I received any credits on my account. My 3G contract, which was previously slated to end 11/2010 is still showing as ending on 06/23/2012. I'll be interested to see how long all this takes to complete. Anyone else's experiences would be interesting to hear...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
For those who for whatever reason, have decided to return their iPhone 4, I'd like to start a thread so we can see how the experience evolves. I'm not looking to slam the iPhone 4 here - there are plenty of threads available for axe grinders. I'm just interested in folk's experiences with their iPhone 4 returns. I'll start...

On Monday evening July 12th, I called AT&T to request a RMA to return the for for a refund. This was before the iPhone event on the 16th, so I'm interested in seeing if I get a full refund or get the 10% restocking fee applied. No big deal on the fee as I agreed to the fee when I bought the phone originally. Additionally, on the 12th I took my 3G to a local AT&T Wireless store and the put a new SIM into the device and reactivated it - free of charge. The 3G works just fine and I am happy with it for the time being.
On Tuesday the 13th, I printed out my RMA label and mailed my iPhone 4 back via USPS Mail. The shipping label supplied by AT&T via email was pre-paid by AT&T i.e. it cost me nothing. The AT&T folks asked no leading questions, and were very polite and accommodating on the phone. They took receipt of it on July 14th and I haven't received any status update as of yet. Apparently, at least for phone sold by AT&T, some company called Newgistics in Fort Worth, TX 76177, is handling the returns. I haven't received any updates since the 14th on the return, nor have I received any credits on my account. My 3G contract, which was previously slated to end 11/2010 is still showing as ending on 06/23/2012. I'll be interested to see how long all this takes to complete. Anyone else's experiences would be interesting to hear...

Just trying to sort this out, but you bought the iPhone 4, didn't care for it, then switched back to your 3G?

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that is correct.

Reaction score
i exchanged mine. The camera lens was ridiculously scratched, as it is nothing but cheap plastic as opposed to super glass. All I had ever done was have it in my pocket with nothing else, or resting on my desk. The rest of the phone was otherwise completely unscratched. The home button was sketchy, and sometimes when I would listen to music and the phone was in front of me and locked, it would go to the unlock screen by itself, as if I had hit the home button. Sometimes I would have to press home several times to get it to work. Must have been a short or something. Walked into the Apple store, got it replaced, no issues since (i'm keeping the factory cover on the back till my screen protectors come in).

Reaction score
Can't say how long you will wait for this particular case but working with Verizon I know they always lead with (as far as returns by mail go) up to six weeks for it to be applied to the account. So you could possibly be waiting about a month or so as these companies tend to drag their feet with return credits.

Reaction score
Guys , I was among those who did not think that their iphone 4 had any problem whatsoever...

I moved to a new house and in this house for the last few days I have noticed that my iPhone 4 dropped few calls and also I had poor reception.

In my previous house I did not have an issue and I think because the signals were really strong there.

I was wondering that if I was to travel to a place where I have weak signals and my iphone 4 does not perform its most important task then whats the point.

So I decided to go to the Apple store and get a replacement. Was in Manchester yesterday for one day and went into the Ardana Store. The Customer Sales Rep was very kind to accomodate me even though I did not have an appointment with the Genius Bar.

He connected my iPhone with his macbook and could see the amount of dropped calls in few days and also the reception issues. He said that this would happen with all phones if the signal is weak. I was not happy with his explanation and said that my old 3gs works fine in my new house.

At the end I was given a replacement set and the serial number starts with a 7. The coating on the sides is a bit darker and this iphone 4 does not have any problem at all. So I guess there was a batch with some faulty antennas during the launch. Many do not notice (like myself) until they move to a place where there are not strong signals.

I am extremely happy to get a replacement and I am so happy that this one does not have any reception issue whatsoever!

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guys , I was among those who did not think that their iphone 4 had any problem whatsoever...

I moved to a new house and in this house for the last few days I have noticed that my iPhone 4 dropped few calls and also I had poor reception.

In my previous house I did not have an issue and I think because the signals were really strong there.

I was wondering that if I was to travel to a place where I have weak signals and my iphone 4 does not perform its most important task then whats the point.

So I decided to go to the Apple store and get a replacement. Was in Manchester yesterday for one day and went into the Ardana Store. The Customer Sales Rep was very kind to accomodate me even though I did not have an appointment with the Genius Bar.

He connected my iPhone with his macbook and could see the amount of dropped calls in few days and also the reception issues. He said that this would happen with all phones if the signal is weak. I was not happy with his explanation and said that my old 3gs works fine in my new house.

At the end I was given a replacement set and the serial number starts with a 7. The coating on the sides is a bit darker and this iphone 4 does not have any problem at all. So I guess there was a batch with some faulty antennas during the launch. Many do not notice (like myself) until they move to a place where there are not strong signals.

I am extremely happy to get a replacement and I am so happy that this one does not have any reception issue whatsoever!

Welcome to mac-forums! Congratulations, I'm glad the situation worked out well for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I just returned my iphone 4 for the 2nd time. The first was for the camera freezing every time I tried to take a picture/video. The 2nd time was within 2 hours of getting my first replacement. The vibrator...no not that...was loose or something and DEFINITELY was NOT silent. In both cases, they accepted the phone's problem, and I was in and out in less than 15 minutes. I did notice one thing though, the antenna band doesn't feel as *dry* as it did on the first one. I can't make the phone loose bars no matter what I do or how I hold it. However, I don't think it's a coating, as was mentioned by someone else. Something is different, I just can't put my finger on it! I can actually hold it by the band without having that feeling like it will easily slip off my fingers. hmmm... guess I gotta do some research to see what, if anything, apple has done. My replacements both came out of the black replacement iphones.

It feels like a completely different phone!

Reaction score
Took it back

Been a big Apple fan since the first Iphone ....even made the switch from Windows to a Macbook. I have really enjoyed the original phones and of course the 3GS (which my wife has now claimed). As mentioned I returned my IP4 after it had decided which calls I would be allowed to take. I may sound like a traitor but I have now switched to an Android model which at the moment is really good..........and I decide which calls I wish to answer. I am disappointed with Apple over this matter, but I guess the writing was on the wall when the IP4 misbehaved when being introduced for the first time !
Anyway my wifes contarct runs out next May/June so I may be back for the Iphone 5........................never say never ;D

Reaction score
May be trying to get an exchange myself. My IP4 has been in a case since day 1. It has never been dropped, doesnt have a single scratch on it. Today when I took it out of the slider case, I noticed the top edge of the screen is chipped where the glass meets the plastic band between the glass and metal strip. Not sure how this could happen seeing its protected by the case and had a zagg shield on it during the 2 weeks ive had it. Its not too noticable, but the simple fact that it is there irritates me now.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may sound like a traitor but I have now switched to an Android model which at the moment is really good..........and I decide which calls I wish to answer. I am disappointed with Apple over this matter, but I guess the writing was on the wall when the IP4 misbehaved when being introduced for the first time !
Anyway my wifes contarct runs out next May/June so I may be back for the Iphone 5........................never say never ;D

I'm going Android as well for the next year. Perhaps the IP5 will suit me better. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Then again, the idea of wireless sync, replaceable batteries and choice of multiple free browsers, email clients and application launchers is very appealing as well. Waiting on a Verizon Droid Incredible right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are not going to be disappointed with the Incredible. Quite a few of my friends got them on launch day, and **** that is a nice phone. I'm not super keen on the OS, but that's personal preference. If I were in the market for an Android device, that's the one I'd definitely get.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, late update. I switched my order to a DX as the DInc keeps getting bumped back due to supply chain issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, late update. I switched my order to a DX as the DInc keeps getting bumped back due to supply chain issues.

You honestly can't go wrong with the Droid series of devices. (Droid, Incredible, Droid X). They're all excellent phones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
no true exchange experience.. but i was close :} got the iP4 saturday night @ RadioShack, all is fine -no "deathgrip" or any of that. only thing i noticed is that if i take a photo in low lighting skin (faces, arms etc.) and white objects turn yellow'ish. (actually my son looked like an Oompa Loompa :} so i strolled into the 1 day before opened Apple store at a local mall.. they were willing to exchange, and even though they only had 32Gb and i have 16Gb i would gave gotten it if i would have brought my receipt and box..

that's why i said a close exchange... haven't tested taken more pics or seeing if it's resolved in iOS 4.0.1 (iP4 had iOS 4 on it, and still does) as it's not a huge issue... i may wait it out till the supply is more constant (i actually could not believe they even had any... must have been since they are a very new store and didn't want to sell no on day 1)

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As of today, still no confirmation that my return has been received. They said it could take 2 weeks, so I'm not worried. Still, I'll probably ring them tomorrow and light a fire under someone's **** to see if things can start moving forward. It's a bit disconcerting that they have nothing in place to indicate that the phone was at least received and is being processed. Such is life these days I suppose.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Called AT&T Premier and they haven't a clue as to my status. As far as they are concerned, I am currently running an iPhone 4 handset on a new 2 year plan. They have no interface available to them to track return status, and are not aware of the iPhone being in any sort of a "return" state. In fact, their last note on the iPhone was it's shipment to me on June 23rd. Their suggestion is to contact Apple, who in turn might have access to contact this "Newgistics" outfit in Ft. Worth, TX, who in turn may have some record of the return status. Regardless, AT&T cannot change the contract end date themselves. That is done via some feed from another system which they have no access to. So, the take away is... returning an iPhone can be a long process which your carrier may well be unable to assist you with following up on. More to come... I hope. Ugh!

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to AT&T, until this Newgistics company scans my package for the serial number to enter it into the system, I will be held to the new 2 year contract and liable for the iPhone 4. The AT&T folks' call center is inbound only. This means they can't call Newgistics to verify the package was received, or even picked up at the Post Office. I asked how log it was reasonable to wait for this to complete, and they had no answer. I asked what would happen if it was never scanned in. They said in that case I would never have my account reset or a refund issued. Essentially, the call center at AT&T has no contact with the vendor who handles their returns - if it isn't in the computer then it didn't happen. They will not follow up with their vendor because they "don't have the responsibility to follow up on these issues with the computer system". They also will not open a lost or stolen phone case yet, as it could still possibly show up and therefore is not lost or stolen. Honestly, I think I'm going to have to go to the US Postal Inspector and open a case to get things rolling on a chain of custody to whom the dang phone was released to when I mailed it back. I'm tending also to think that paying my bill is not the best thing to do as that could lend someone to infer that I somehow accept the new contract end date (June 2012) as valid, which I don't. Regardless, they don't get paid again until this is straightened out.

Today's take away: AT&T will not be your advocate if there is an issue with the third party they contract to handle your business with them. AT&T will contact a 3rd party to handle issues which directly impact your financial liability to AT&T. They will not hold that 3rd party vendor responsible if it creates a situation where a financial loss could occur - you will be the liable party in AT&T's eyes. They also do not appear to have anyone accessible to the customer who can contact their own vendors on issues which impact your billing or financial obligations to them.

Reaction score
Newgistics Response to Inquiry

Dear XJ-Linux - While monitoring Google alerts, we received notification that there is an active dialogue regarding our company's service used to return mobile devices. While this is an issue that should be able to be resolved with the carrier in question - it is our goal and intention to ensure that you are satisfied with the services that our company provides to our client. If you would please provide the barcode or tracking number that accompanied the return label sent to you in support of the event, our internal support team will work to identify where the problem exists. Respectfully, Newgistics, Inc.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM coming your way. Thanks for reaching out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.