iphoto to Aperture 3

Reaction score
I have just recently changed over to an Apple MacBook Pro and have imported all my photos initially into iphoto.

I have recently bought Aperture 3 and my question is this, if I import my iphoto library into Aperture 3 will it copy the photos and use up more memory ??

If so once imported do I need to delete iphoto ? or does it just take the link from iphoto each time I use Aperture ?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but my iphoto library is nearly 30GB and I want to reduce the size not increase it substantially ?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
hmmm... bump?

Reaction score
Yes, aperture doesn't alter the original image but saves a copy of it. I dislike aperture's file management and generally stick to photoshop & bridge.

There may well be a way to save aperture mods on to the original image but I havn't bothered to find it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
As has already been mentioned, Aperture creates its own library which will essentially double the space requirement. Having said that Aperture also easily allows you to switch between working libraries, which means you can divide your existing library up into more manageable segments.
If you have no plans on using iPhoto, I would offload the iPhoto library to an external drive for a "just in case back up" and then delete the iPhoto library and use Aperture.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.