Is it worth returning iPhone 4 and waiting for a new one?

Reaction score
Less than a week ago i purchased the new iPhone 4 on a pretty pricey contract. Immediately i became aware of the signal issues i'm sure everyone's heard about, which i had initially thought we're probably exaggerated.

Basically, when i hold the phone with my left hand, such as when texting, the phone's signal drops out entirely meaning i have to hold it elsewhere for 10 seconds or so before i get signal again.

Although i love the phone, it's a marvellous piece of engineering and a joy to use, this issue is very annoying. Not only this, the volume of concern for the topic makes me think Apple will probably start manufacturing a revised iPhone 4 without this issue, would this be correct to assume?

If so, i feel maybe, having entered into a very long contract, to return the phone and wait until this issue is resolved. What do people think?

OP
W
Reaction score
Is it likely that Apple will manufacture a revised iPhone 4 imminently? Rather than waiting a year or so as has been in the past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Doubt they will honestly. There's really nothing wrong with the phone for the most part. If you're one of the few who have an actual issue, you can get the free bumper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
totally agree with schweb....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It would have to be a higher percentage rate of affected customers for a re-tool and it has
been said even though the bars dropped the call still went through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Is it likely that Apple will manufacture a revised iPhone 4 imminently? Rather than waiting a year or so as has been in the past.

Put it in a case. Problem solved and you keep the phone looking like new.

C

chas_m

What baggss said. A "bumper" or any other case will totally eliminate the issue (recently proven in a more qualitative way by Antennasys.com), so to me this is a total non-issue.

I think today's press conference made it pretty clear that Apple has NO repeat NO intention of fundamentally changing the antenna design of the iPhone 4, which essentially means no new hardware, so returning it won't help.

A $10 case will totally fix the problem, however.

Reaction score
Sad

I beg to differ. It is a huge issue. Just because you do not have it doesn't make it any less so.
I will be returning my 2nd ip4 today because I have dropped so many calls (with a bumper on it), it makes the phone unusable as a phone and I use my phone for work 80% of the time. I was hoping that replacing it the first time would take care of it but it did not. It is very sad because I loved my 3G and 3GS and never had any issues with them. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I beg to differ. It is a huge issue. Just because you do not have it doesn't make it any less so.

Actually it's not a "huge" issue for 99.5% of iPhone 4 users. I feel bad that you're part of the 0.5% having problems. Hopefully the free bumper will work. If not, best of luck on whichever phone you decide to use instead...you can always take the iPhone 4 back and get a 3GS.

Reaction score
It seems that most users have a case on the iPhone 4 as well as all the other smart phones that have this (non) issue. Until my bumper came (which did solve what some see as a signal problem) I didn't hold the phone on the bottom, I held it from the sides. A long time ago I noticed that if I hit my finger with a hammer it hurts, now I don't hit my finger with a hammer.......seems pretty simple. There's a certain percentage of people that want to criticize #1, it's human nature. It seems most of the haters are not Apple customers, so what's it to them? Alot of people like to criticize the best race car drive, basketball player, etc.... Same goes for the best electronic's manufacturer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook 13.3" Aluminium Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz

They said there NOT making a new IPhone 4 there just going to clear up all the issues with this IPhone (Best Idea)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
If you have the 3GS from before, the answer to your question is YES :)

Actually, it should be YES anyway. If I had a phone with similar problems to the one you (OP) mentioned, I wouldn't need a bumper. I would need insurance to cover any damage of the phone, stemming from any cause...

Reaction score
I live in Australia and the phone is released July 30, i'm wondering if i should get it or wait....

C

chas_m

You might try reading the posts above yours. I think Apple has made their position on this pretty clear, and its be re-iterated by several people here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I live in Australia and the phone is released July 30, i'm wondering if i should get it or wait....

Did you read any of the earlier posts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.