GPS Photo Logger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66Ghz, 4GB Ram, 640 GB, 24" plus Macbook Pro
Does anyone use a GPS Photo Logger device to capture locations in conjunction with their DSLR that works seamlessly with a Mac?

It just gets to be a bit of a pain inputting Lat Longs or placing pins on a map, so I'm looking for a device that can synch all the positional information when I upload images onto my Mac.

Any advice or information will be much appreciated.

C

chas_m

Here's "the poor man's method":

When I go shooting with my DSLR, I also take an iPhone. I take one picture with the iPhone for every location I shoot at.

The iPhone of course embeds GPS info right in its pictures. I then simply copy/paste that info into the IPTC of the "good" pictures.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Chas, I was hoping for a solution that was slightly cheaper than an iPhone, which I don't possess :)
Paul.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Schweb - I had already trawled the UK Amazon site, and those it advertised as being Mac compatible didn't get very good reviews.
I was just hoping someone may have some experience of a device that does what it says on the box :D

C

chas_m

You can use Houdageo or Graphic Converter to tag photos with geographic info (via Google Earth) after the fact ...

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks very much Chas - just looked at your suggestions and they look as if they will do the job :D:D
Cheers,

Paul.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Picasa3 also lets you geotag "after the fact" using Google Earth and since they are both Google products, they work quite well together. I have also uploaded a few pictures to Panoramio (yet another Google product) that shows the image in one pane and the location on the map in another.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for your response.
I actually use Aperture as an Editor which allows me to input locations 'after the fact' using either lat long or google maps to do so, either singly or as a batch.
What I want to use is a GPS device that will record my position/location whilst out on a shoot and then is capable of providing that information to be embedded in the Exif information when I upload my images onto the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
I am just a "casual" picture taker. I wouldn't even call myself a photgrapher! My next camera will most likely be a Nikon Coolpix P6000 primarily because it has a built in GPS unit. I currently have a Nikon D40 and it does an OK job for an entry-level DLSR. It came with an 18-55 "kit lens" and I bought a 55-200 lens. On our last vacation, I didn't even take the extra lens. So now I have $600 worth of camera stuff and it is still only 6 megapixels. For $400, I can buy something smaller and lighter and has 13.5 megapixels!

I am also curious about these "add-on" GPS units, but I probably won't buy one since then I will have about $700-800 worth of camera stuff... and still only 6 megapixels.

Live and learn!

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you although I'm not sure that your comment is particularly helpful as it doesn't answer any of my requirements :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Well you were looking for advice for a better way to geotag your pictures and in my case, the solution is a new camera with a built-in GPS. Unfortunately I just spent the money that I could have used for that new Nikon on an iPad! That's OK, Christmas is only a little over 5 months away!

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, but what I really wanted was a device that was considerably cheaper than a new camera, so a GPS Photo Logger and software would do the trick.
I already have a quite considerable array of cameras and lenses, so don't think that another one would be a viable proposition:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.