Issue with jpg looking like ASCII characters

Reaction score
I'm trying to send some antique map files via a newsgroup. The files upload fine and look fine to my system. Others with Macs have no problem either. However some people using pc's are seeing nothing but ASCII characters. How can I resolve this issue so the files are useful to both mac and pc users. Is a simple file extension change from jpg to jpeg the answer? Thanks for any suggestions.
Charlie:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
That would definitely be worth a shot. I know that .docx and .doc makes the difference between Mic. Word files being openable on both systems, so I think that might make a difference. A quick Google might shed more light on things you could do to try and make it work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You may also need to find out what programs on the PC are set to automatically open jpg files. If for some bizarre reason jpeg files are opening up in notepad or Word, then it is their computer set-up that is wrong, not the files themselves

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks

ThanQ corbab and louishen. I did try changing the ext but also ran the file through PS CS and changed them to PC RBG, this seemed to do the trick. Now I fine my posting software stinks, can't post any more than 2-3 files at a time due to their size(some up to 15MB). Don't want to downsize because of loss of detail. Got any ideas on a good posting client?:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I don't know what your specific needs are in terms of uploading, but if you're experiencing slowdown due to the size, I'd say a FTP client would be your best bet. I'm not a network person by any means, but if you're having trouble, I'd ask around and I'm sure you'll get better answers than what I can give you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.