mac or pc for web design

Reaction score
I'd like to get a Mac laptop. I do web design. I work on a PC desktop now. But one thing I need to do is to be able to check my design in different browsers to make sure my web pages are rendering correctly. And I think that since most of the web world is PC that maybe I shouldn't get a Mac because then I couldn't check my work in the different web browsers on PC. I'm wondering how other Mac web designers deal with this, and if they use Mac how can they be sure their work is correct in "PC world."

Anybody have any suggestions?

A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
You can get Firefox and IE for mac, and obviously you would have safari. For web design, I find Firefox seems to work the best. IE and Safari react differently in some scenarios. There are also other smaller browsers like opera and google chrome if you want to be really thorough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The only Windows only web browser is IE. All other major browsers have a Mac version and they use the same web rendering engine as their Windows counterparts meaning they should look the same on either system. If you really need to run IE then you can install Windows on your Mac.

C

chas_m

Being that a Mac is the only computer that can legally run all three of the primary OSes for the internet, I would argue that it is a SUPERIOR computer to a PC for web design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Running Snow Leopard 10.6.4
I suggest you get a Macintosh, but that's just because I love how they run :) Anyways, you don't even need to get a new computer, just get dreamweaver and use live view or preview in browser option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
As mentioned, you can run Windows on a Mac. Either by dual booting, or the easier method of running it under a VM such as Parallels or VMWare Fusion. You'll also need to buy an appropriate copy of Windows.

There is at least one web site that runs all the browsers and feeds back an image so that you can see the result. I can't recall the name though, but think it has been mentioned here before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
IE hasn't been available for the Mac for several years.

Sorry I was in fact pulling that info from when I had it a while ago. :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.