iphone update problem

Reaction score
Hi

Im trying to update my 3GS from v3.1.3 to v4.0 in iTunes. When i connect and click update all i get is a message saying 'This version of iTunes 9.1.1 is the current version'!!!!!

Any ideas on what i'm doing wrong? I'm running OSX 10.4.11

Regards
Raff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hi

Im trying to update my 3GS from v3.1.3 to v4.0 in iTunes. When i connect and click update all i get is a message saying 'This version of iTunes 9.1.1 is the current version'!!!!!

Any ideas on what i'm doing wrong? I'm running OSX 10.4.11

Regards
Raff

You're clicking update from the iTunes menu which is the updater for iTunes. You need to select your iPhone on the left-hand column and then choose "Check for Update" from that screen.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Schweb

Thanks for your reply.

I am on the summary page of iPhone and under version it says a new version i.e 4.0 is available. I click update here not on itunes menu and still get that message. Thats whats confusing me????

Regards
Raff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hi Schweb

Thanks for your reply.

I am on the summary page of iPhone and under version it says a new version i.e 4.0 is available. I click update here not on itunes menu and still get that message. Thats whats confusing me????

Regards
Raff

Is your phone jailbroken or otherwise modified from the defaults?

OP
R
Reaction score
no i bought it brand new and also im not a heavy user! there's hardly anything on it.

???

C

chas_m

Well, to start with, the current version of iTunes is 9.2, and yes it supports Tiger (10.4.11).

So I'd start by updating iTunes, then try again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I believe you have to have iTunes 9.2 to install the 4.0 firmware. Instead of using the iTunes updater, go to the Apple site and download the latest version of iTunes.

Apple - iTunes - Everything you need to be entertained.

Install it over your currently installed version and then you should be able to update your phone to 4.0.1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.