PDA

View Full Version : PayPal is evil

Biogas
07-10-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't do PayPal. If you have another way to pay then I'd buy the premium membership.

schweb
07-10-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't do PayPal. If you have another way to pay then I'd buy the premium membership.

Thanks for the feedback.

iNAP
07-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I get payments via paypal almost everyday and never had a complaint from paying customers or service problems paypal goes out of their way to make sure everything is secure and easily understood

1611mac
07-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I've sold over 1400 items on a popular auction site and paypal was used almost exclusively. I've NEVER had a single problem. What NOT to do... do not allow large sums of money to sit in paypal. Do NOT get the Paypal credit card. The service is awful and if you change paypal account you cannot transfer the card from the old to the new. Can't even get to the old account via web, paper only.

pigoo3
07-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I've sold over 1400 items on a popular auction site and paypal was used almost exclusively. I've NEVER had a single problem. What NOT to do... do not allow large sums of money to sit in paypal...

Awesome that you've never had a Paypal problem! :) I've had far fewer Paypal transactions...and I've had problems...but I would still use the service.

I would love to hear why you say don't leave large sums of sitting in Paypal...other than the obvious reason that you're not going to earn much (if any) interest on it.

Thanks,

- Nick

Mickyfin
07-10-2010, 04:05 PM
I have recently had a nightmare with Paypal in the sense that changing my address, and card linked to my address. I recently moved apartment, and although I initially changed my address in my paypal account successfully, and my card linked to my new address, on a recent purchase on ebay I noticed my old address was showing as the delivery address in an email notification that I received. Upon checking my paypal information, my old address was back in place even though I had deleted it.

The nightmare started when I tried to re-add my new address, and link my bank card to it, I simply couldn't. I had to manually remove my card from my old address(again), then deleted my old address(again), then add my new address(again), but then when I tried to add my card to my new address, paypal kept of saying my bank had denied to validate my card.

Several phone calls later, i finally got to the bottom of the issue, there was a bug in their system, they said sorry, and told me they had recently changed their policy too, and that I cannot use my spouses(wife's) bank card with my account. (Due to the amount of fraud, and divorces in the UK).

In the end, I have had to set up a new bank account, and card, then validate it, and verify everything even though I had already done all this.

I have been a member of paypal for several years, and ebay the same, and have over 1000+ feedback on eBay.

bargsbeer
07-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I pretty much stopped using Paypal in 2008, In fact I don't even have an account anymore. On the occasion I need Paypal it's always for small transactions I usually borrow a friend or relatives account. I think Paypal is great for small transactions or as long as you don't have a dispute of any kind, Paypal customer service is near impossible to deal with if your on the receiving end of a dispute/claim.

Micky I feel your pain.

pigoo3
07-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I pretty much stopped using Paypal in 2008, In fact I don't even have an account anymore.

If you have no Paypal account...what sort of payment methods are you accepting if you need to do a "long distance" selling transaction? Or what are you using if you're a buyer?

I (like you) prefer to do transactions locally...but sometimes local doesn't always work.

- Nick

bargsbeer
07-10-2010, 05:57 PM
If you have no Paypal account...what sort of payment methods are you accepting if you need to do a "long distance" transaction? Or what are you using if you're a buyer?

I (like you) prefer to do transactions locally...but sometimes local doesn't always work.

- Nick

In the rare event i need it, I can use my Brothers paypal account, It's generally only for small transactions, Sometimes I will post items for sale here at MF In that case I will use paypal for whatever, provided it's with an established member who has been here for a while.

My rule of thumb only deal on Craigslist for any big ticket items. I was burned too many times with ebay/paypal.

pigoo3
07-10-2010, 06:49 PM
My rule of thumb only deal on Craigslist for any big ticket items. I was burned too many times with ebay/paypal.

I hear ya! Much easier to sleep at night when you get cash for a Craig's List transaction!!!:)

Unfortunately...I still "roll the dice" (on the big items) occasionally with e-Bay.

- Nick

Doug b
07-10-2010, 09:33 PM
A few years ago, I had a horrifying experience with PayPal and I will never use their services ever again. I know someone is going to say that it's my fault for leaving one of my checking accounts tied to it, but I'll dispute that based on what happened.

One day I went to a local drug store and used my debit card for the purchase. They told me that the card was not working, which was odd because I had just recently deposited about $1000 Went to my actual bank which was just down the block, and they said all the money associated with that account was sitting waiting to be transferred in a PayPal transaction, which I did not authorize !

The bank at that point could not even do anything for me since the money was sitting in PP's hold, associated with an anonymous e-mail account waiting for the transfer to go through. I rushed home and got on the phone with PayPal and stopped the transaction dead in its tracks. But it took some time to even get a higher up to understand what was happening for some reason.. And when I did finally get someone to understand, they were quite rude to me and forced me to ask for their superior so no more time was wasted.

I managed to stop the transfer and then told them to close my account, just wipe it out completely. You'd think that would be it... no problems after that, right ? A month later, I got a letter from a law firm in California stating that I was being held accountable for the money which I rightfully took back from whom ever tried to steal it from me in the first place ! I called them as soon as I got it, and left several messages informing them that they would be very foolish to try and pursue this, and likely wind up being sued themselves, for harassment. I didn't hear from them again... until:

A year later, I got the same letter from these clowns and again, I called them back. This time I was a bit more insistent and menacing sounding, and also had a friend with me whom practices law, and she had a word as well.

Called PayPal back as well, and informed them about the harassment. Apologies were given, but not before a bit of attitude from the lower level monkey's of course. Here's the thing though, the big thing that got me:

I NEVER EVER went to PayPal's site via an email link or even through typing their URL directly. Never had a need. I only used their service once, to purchase an turntable needle from a forum I used to go to. So right away I knew to shoot down any suggestions that I fell prey to a phishing scam. Plus, I'm not stupid about my computing, I know more than I need to know in order to be safe on the net. (apart from being stupid enough to leave an side checking account tied to PP!)

My conclusion led me to one place, and so I investigated whether or not any or many other people have had this happen to them, and found a site called Paypalsuc*s.com. Not only was I not alone in this having happened, but there were just way too many people who had been through the same thing. The general consensus was that aside from phishing scams that a lot of people DO fall for, that there were some shady people working for PP whom had too much personal information available to them and that they used it for just this sort of thing.

Now, I don't just believe things without proof, so I'll never say that it's fully true, but there have also been reports of supposedly ex PP employees (anon names though) reporting such fraud to be true. What ever the case, I'll never use their service again, if for no other reason than principle.

Doug

Mickyfin
07-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Wow Doug, thats some horror story you got right there!

Village Idiot
07-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Paypal is a sham. There's no regulations governing them like there are for bank and credit agencies, but they work very similar to both of those institutions. Just Google for something like pay pal horror story or scam and you will get many web pages with lots of incredible stories of how pay pal ****s people over.

bargsbeer
07-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Paypal is a sham. There's no regulations governing them like there are for bank and credit agencies, but they work very similar to both of those institutions. Just Google for something like pay pal horror story or scam and you will get many web pages with lots of incredible stories of how pay pal ****s people over.

There are entire website devoted to the subject, I sold on Feebay and use paypal for several years, There great until you have a problem, That's when it will go down hill.

XJ-linux
07-13-2010, 08:31 PM
I have used PayPal for years buying and selling firearms online. The only issue I had was with leaving money in the PayPal account, and then launching a dispute with a seller. It turns out, once a dispute is launched the assets in both parties' accounts are often times locked until resolved. This means that potentially, if you lodge a dispute against someone and have money in your own account from other unrelated transactions, you lose access to that money until the dispute is resolved. Not good if you have hundreds or thousands of dollars hanging out the PayPal land. I always withdraw payments received and transfer to my checking account within a minute or two of payment, and never ship until that money is completely in my checking account in a non-pending state. I also always pay via a credit card so that I can dispute a charge, which isn't an option with my checking account in most cases. After a few nasty situations, I switched to money orders exclusively. PayPal, in my opinion, doesn't offer any appreciable security enhancements. It does offer convenience in sending money quickly in the hopes of getting an item quickly. Unfortunately, if you are dealing with someone such as myself (who waits until payment has completely cleared) a USPS Money Order sent via USPS Priority is generally faster, and also gets the Postmaster General involved (in some cases) if there is fraud. I do use PayPal on occasion with know vendors I trust, and for small impulse buys under $100. Good luck!

bholloway
07-16-2010, 11:30 AM
The moral of the story is don't leave money in your paypal account. The second I receive a payment, I always send it straight to my bank account. This helps to prevent scammers who try and use chargebacks and disputes to get their money back after they've received an item. Once it gets into my bank account I don't think paypal has the authority to take it out even on disputes(correct me if I'm wrong).

liftkit
07-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Ive actually had good luck with paypal. Had an issue with a scammer on Ebay (or so i thought) and paypal was backing me 100% with a refund if said item wasnt as described. Sorry about your ordeal

chscag
07-16-2010, 07:18 PM
The moral of the story is don't leave money in your paypal account. The second I receive a payment, I always send it straight to my bank account. This helps to prevent scammers who try and use chargebacks and disputes to get their money back after they've received an item. Once it gets into my bank account I don't think paypal has the authority to take it out even on disputes(correct me if I'm wrong).

You know, I'm not sure about that. Once you authorize a credit card or a bank account for use with PayPal, I believe they can debit and credit to that account or credit card. Whether or not they choose to do so before informing you is another matter.

To be safe, log on to your PayPal account and de-authorize your bank account. That's what I would do to play it safe.

Regards.

pigoo3
07-16-2010, 07:41 PM
You know, I'm not sure about that. Once you authorize a credit card or a bank account for use with PayPal, I believe they can debit and credit to that account or credit card.

Exactly right "chscag"!:)
Once it gets into my bank account I don't think paypal has the authority to take it out even on disputes(correct me if I'm wrong).

"bholloway"...unfortunately if you sell something to someone...if they open a dispute & Paypal rules in the favor of the buyer...YES Paypal will go after you. If you don't have enough money in your Paypal account to cover the refund or credit card chargeback...Paypal will freeze your Paypal acount...and eventually will come after you. If you don't pay Paypal within the period of time they specify...they will start to add on late fees, collection fees, etc...and they will inform a collection agency to come after you...which includes harassing letters, e-mails, and phone calls.

By coming after you I mean...go after the funds that you have linked to your Paypal account...such as a bank account that you have on file with Paypal.

So taking all of your money out of your Paypal account is not a "safety net" of any sort.

How do I know...it happened to me.:( I had an unhappy buyer, they opened a dispute, I disputed it as well since the buyer was wrong...but Paypal ruled in favor of the buyer!:(

- Nick

p.s. I'm not saying I won't use Paypal...but you got to understand the rules so there are no surprises!;)

schweb
07-16-2010, 07:43 PM
I've never actually had a problem with PayPal and I've been using them pretty much since they launched.

SolitaryHowl
07-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I've had absolutely no problem with Paypal; and I've been using it for years.

chscag
07-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Many of us have been using PayPal without problems. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware of the "fine print". Enough said.

Regards.

Biogas
07-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Actually, I just don't like their name.

pigoo3
07-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Actually, I just don't like their name.

What about..."PaySal"...as in Salvatore. Heyyyy I'll break your legs if you don't pay!!!;)

http://ursispaltenstein.ch/blog/images/uploads_img/how_the_mafia_works.jpg

RavingMac
07-19-2010, 12:57 PM
After reading all the above, I visited my Paypal account which I literally hadn't accessed in years to make sure I didn't have any problems. No linked accounts or credit cards and the email address is way out of date. Wonder why they even keep my account open. It's probably been 6 years or more since I used it.

BTW: I like the idea of a PaySal account, just as long as they're not collecting from me!

bwinston777
07-28-2010, 09:06 AM
I've been using Paypal for over 5 years, I must have bought nearly 100 items using paypal and I never had a single problem. I like paypal, because it often makes things much easier.

lolipop21
10-17-2010, 01:37 AM
I don't know how such things happened to you guys, but I never had problems with paypal. Always done the transactions safe and easy. Only one time, I had a problem with the seller - not paypal - and I was able to open a dispute and obtain a refund.

MrClungeHead
10-17-2010, 11:55 AM
I've never had a problem with paypal, the only problem I can say I've had is having to wait 20 days for payments to me to clear, or to get positive feedback on Ebay, before I can transfer to my bank account.

sunway
10-19-2010, 09:03 PM
I actually almost had a horrible experience with paypal on monday. I was selling my nokia on craiglist where some saw it. ofcourse that person contact me and and send me email saying she is interested. Then on saturday I received a paypal money confirmation which it look like it came from paypal stating everything. On monday I went to UPS to send the package to the person out of nowhere the girl who works a UPS said to me " check with paypal you received the payment" I did and gladly I find out I did not and It was a scam. Why is it horrible story? as you can see I was sent a perfect and original pay confirmation from paypal which it was not even true. Pay-pal needs to get their hand on this things.

Rules of thumbs: Never send a package to Nigeria bcz you will likely end up scammed and if you do check you received the payment.

bargsbeer
10-19-2010, 10:03 PM
I actually almost had a horrible experience with paypal on monday. I was selling my nokia on craiglist where some saw it. ofcourse that person contact me and and send me email saying she is interested. Then on saturday I received a paypal money confirmation which it look like it came from paypal stating everything. On monday I went to UPS to send the package to the person out of nowhere the girl who works a UPS said to me " check with paypal you received the payment" I did and gladly I find out I did not and It was a scam. Why is it horrible story? as you can see I was sent a perfect and original pay confirmation from paypal which it was not even true. Pay-pal needs to get their hand on this things.

Rules of thumbs: Never send a package to Nigeria bcz you will likely end up scammed and if you do check you received the payment.

I don't want to sound mean, But you almost fell for the oldest scam in the history of Paypal scams. Again I don't want to be mean, But the joke is on you for this one.

sguniverse
10-21-2010, 05:53 AM
I've been using paypal for quite a long time, and still no complains.
It's true that if you need sometime for charging your costumers and you're expecting a lot of money incomes paypal perhaps is not the solution, but if you are a costumer paypal is enough.

schweb
10-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Guys I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread as I feel it's gotten well beyond the initial suggestion. Any further discussion of people's personal experience with PayPal can be posted in Anything Goes.