invalid password and connection timeout

Reaction score
i have had my macbook pro 13" connected to a linksys wgn120 wireless router with no problems..... until 2 days ago the connection dropped and now it will not connect wirelessly.
i open network pref - select my network/router as it shows - enter WPA password... it then tells me invalid password when i know for a fact it is correct as i have had it connected before with no problems. i can connect via ethernet cable no problem. i have not changed anything before this problem started. i have tried rebooting router disconnecting etc. very frustrating

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've also had this happen - actually several times. I can't explain why it happens but here is a possible fix. This is what was recommended by Apple support:

1. Use your Finder and open Library » Preferences » SystemConfiguration, and trash the entire contents of that folder.

2. Delete all locations in System Preferences » Network, and recreate the location Automatic. Reboot.

The above worked for me. You might want to make a copy of everything you delete before deleting it. If you have Time Machine running and your backups are up to date, that will suffice.

One other note: If you still have problems with the password, you may have to open your keychain.app and delete the entries. That would mean you would need to setup a new password with your router. And always make sure you are broadcasting your SSID.

Regards.

Reaction score
I've also had this happen - actually several times. I can't explain why it happens but here is a possible fix. This is what was recommended by Apple support:

1. Use your Finder and open Library » Preferences » SystemConfiguration, and trash the entire contents of that folder.

2. Delete all locations in System Preferences » Network, and recreate the location Automatic. Reboot.

The above worked for me. You might want to make a copy of everything you delete before deleting it. If you have Time Machine running and your backups are up to date, that will suffice.

One other note: If you still have problems with the password, you may have to open your keychain.app and delete the entries. That would mean you would need to setup a new password with your router. And always make sure you are broadcasting your SSID.

Regards.

If I don't have Time Machine, how else can I backup my files?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I don't have Time Machine, how else can I backup my files?

If you're referring to the files I told the OP to backup before deleting, just move them to your desktop.

Regards.

Reaction score
If you're referring to the files I told the OP to backup before deleting, just move them to your desktop.

Regards.

Thank you.
The first solution I tried but it didn't work. I went to System Preferences> Network but all the locations were already deleted and it was already on automatic. I rebooted it and it still wouldn't let me go on my home's wi-fi (plus the wi-fi icon changed.)

I want to try the second solution but I don't know how to change the password (I'm not the only one using this wi-fi connection.) Also, what do you mean broadcasting with my SSID?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In order for step 2 to work you have to re-create the "automatic" setting. Go thru the process again, remove your automatic setting and create another one.
You can call it "home" or anything else you want.

As far as the router is concerned, if others are using the same router, changing the password would impact all users. The SSID is the network name. The router should be set to broadcast the network name otherwise it may not be found in the list of available networks.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.