• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

5 minutes to go England vs Germany

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OK, I'll be off the forums for a while - its England vs Germany - once again we are arch rivals.

I work for a German company, so by tomorrow I will either be surrounded by very quiet Germans, or very smug Germans :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Duo 4 GB Ram
very good match! I'm actually anticipating the argentina vs. mexico game

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.53GHz, 4GB, Snow Leopard + iPhone 3G
Why will FIFA not use technology? Should be 2-2 at half time...

OP
louishen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I cant believe it, that goal was soo in.

I think us and the Americans need to join forces gain, this time we declare war on FIFA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Duo 4 GB Ram
stupid linesman should be fired right away

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Jeez, we suck!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Going to be a rough day at work. Good luck with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Something was wrong with the English team ...
Where were the fighting spirit, the creativity, the eager to win.

Boy am I disappointed.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
louishen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, I am going to face a lot of smug Germans tomorrow :)

But I think, as with the USA match, that the losers are FIFA

If Germany face Argentina next I am going to have to switch allegiance - where is my red, black and yellow face paint?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I had to record the game. So I thought it was safe to come onto Mac-forums, while I watched the game. So I almost had a heart attack, once I read the title of this thread. But no spoiler in the title, whew. lol

I was really expecting this game to be very close and tied in the end for possibly a shootout. But Germans had some really lucky plays, whenever the ball was quickly passed down the field a few times.

I would have liked to think the game result would have ended differently, if the referee would have allowed the goal in the first half. And that would have made England fight a little harder in the end.

FIFA really is misguided to think technology takes away from the spirit of the game. USA almost did not advance onto the next round play Ghana, because of the two games, where the goals were disallowed for bad calls on offside. Some calls are so bias by some referees, technology would definitely put a stop to that.

But in England's case, the sideline referee wasn't bias, but just made a really bad call, cause only the cameras behind the goal could see that the ball was obviously in, but harder to see by cameras in front of the goal.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
FIFA really is misguided to think technology takes away from the spirit of the game.
They have to be the only ones who don't use it. Every other sport (that I can think of) does and benefits greatly from it. It's one thing to say that it takes away from the "spirit of the game" (whatever that actually means - not directed at you but at FIFA) and another to make sports fair. Technology would make the game fair by awarding teams what they deserve and isn't fairness part of the "spirit"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15"); iPhone 4; iPad 64GB Wi-Fi
I was glad to see Germany win that match, but I do agree that it should've been 2-2 at half. I don't know how they could've blown that bad of a call!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It's happened all tournament. Refs not being consistent in their calls. And it really spoils some of the games. You can't say the best team one on the day if the ref goes out and makes dumb calls. in saying that if you are a really good team then even a biased ref will not be enough to stop you. So if the ref bias is getting to your favourite team, just think if they were better they could win a 2v1 game. As in ref + other team vs your team.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
They have to be the only ones who don't use it. Every other sport (that I can think of) does and benefits greatly from it.

Baseball doesn't really use it either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15"); iPhone 4; iPad 64GB Wi-Fi
Baseball doesn't really use it either.

I believe MLB just uses it for home runs, and even then getting the umpires to actually use it can be difficult depending on who the umps are that day. I'm all for not having instant replay to the extend that the NFL has it, or even the NBA, but you need it to some extent to get things right.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Any sport run by backwards thinking old geezers who refuse to use modern technology deserves the chop where the turkey got the axe!

Don't believe me? Ask the Irish!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Professional sport, whatever it might be, is riddled with officials with massive egos, they're there "to control the game", rather than assist it's smooth passage. "We didn't get it wrong, we simply made a mistake!"

There are the exceptions - of course - but they're way too few. Of the worlds' major sports governing bodies, I believe FIFA is the most obstinate about using modern video technology, especially referrals and replays. I believe also that the referees themselves have 'declined' (read: refused) to allow it.

OP
louishen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have re-looked at the footage, and Frank Lampard's shot was out after all :)

Frank-Lampards-shot.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Funny louishen. Bottom line is you were not wanted there. It is to be a South American tournament.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.