HD simply won't work...

Reaction score
Hi gang- just picked up the iphone4 yesterday, and for the life of me, the video simply won't get up to 720/HD.

Have tried pretty much everything...

-uploaded video directly to youtube from iphone4- won't work
-email video to myself, then unploaded to youtube.com
-put emailed video into imovie, then upload, no luck..
-purchased imovie app for iphone- exported as a HD video , then uploaded to youtube, no luck
-checked all possible settings on iphone- no luck.
-gone to my account on youtube, then uploaded from youtube.com- no luck

ANY suggestions? Am I missing something that is REALLY obvious? Do i need to change my youtube account settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That's weird, I can't remember exactly what I went through, but when I tried to upload a video via iMovie, it gave me an option to upload in te definition I wanted. I'll give it a try again and see what I come up with when I get to my hotel. The definition in 720p was great when I tried it the first time...which was conetely done via iPhone!

OP
T
Reaction score
stardom

Hey there- am DYING to see exactly what you did here. so far the ONLY way to get an HD iphone 4 movie is by downloading it to iPhoto first, then imovie, then youtube. What exactly did you do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This is how I did it while sitting in the passenger seat. I recorded the video on the iPhone, then opened up iMovie. After adding some music, and finishing off, I was done. Then there is a little button in the corner that showed an upload option. I didn't upload it, but it gave me the option to turn the video into 720p and put it into all the other files in iPhoto. I'm guessing you can bypass that though and possibly go straight to Facebook/YouTube.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Pro
Believe it or not, the shiny new iPhone 4 can't upload a HD video to YouTube, MobileMe, and nor can it be emailed. You must first sync the phone to your PC or Mac, than use something like iPhoto to pull the HD video from the device and than upload it from your PC or Mac. That seems like either a ridiculous oversight or Apple is bowing yet again to AT&T to keep the upload bandwidth as narrow as possible. The option for export on iMovie is for sending it back to the camera roll in the HD format you want but when you upload it from the camera roll, it's still compressed.

If there's a super secret method otherwise, I hope somebody will share it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.