Wireless help

Reaction score
So, I went back to cable today from Uverse. The modem that was with Uverse was good as it also had wireless built in. Before I had uverse, I had cable and had a wireless router hooked up to my network. Now, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have a dlink router (older model, probably 6 yrs old or so) and a motorola surfboard 5101U cable modem.

I have the cable going to the modem from the wall, an ethernet cable going to my wireless router to the WAN port, and I get the network to show up just fine through airport on both my imac and my macbook, however, there's no connection.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,
Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Did you have a tech install your modem? Usually when you hook up a new device to cable, you need to activate it somehow. You can't just plug in a cable modem and away you go. For example - even though I am activated on one modem, I needed it replaced, so when I plugged in the new cable modem - I was presented with a webpage where I had to answer some questions to activate.

OP
S
Reaction score
Did you have a tech install your modem? Usually when you hook up a new device to cable, you need to activate it somehow. You can't just plug in a cable modem and away you go. For example - even though I am activated on one modem, I needed it replaced, so when I plugged in the new cable modem - I was presented with a webpage where I had to answer some questions to activate.

Yeah, the Cox Cable guy came out and hooked everything up. It works fine when plugged in tot eh computer direct. When I plug the cable from the modem to the wireless router, I get the connection to show up in my airport status, but when I use that connection, I cannot connect to the net.

Kevin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.