'Save As' mistake. Recovery question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
On Microsoft Word (mac) I used a template of a file to create a new file, but instead of saving 'as'.... I just saved!!! And lost the big, big original file!!

How do I recover it? I understand that you can 'turn back time' on mac...

Help!!

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
Do you have a time machine backup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Depending on how many changes you made before you Saved, you could do a SaveAs like you should have done, to a different filename of course, then reopen the "big, big original file" that you accidently modified and reverse the changes, then just Save it and you have the template back.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When using MS Office it's always a good idea to turn on the option to make a backup of the document when you open it to edit. The backups are saved in your documents folder. That option will also save a copy of any template you edit; accidentally or on purpose.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
Do you have a time machine backup?

No.. I haven't signed up for it. I have it as an app.

reopen the "big, big original file" that you accidently modified and reverse the changes

I've tried that, but Word won't let me 'Undo'

Is there a way to find the file without Time Machine?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Time machine? Signed up? You plug in an external hard drive and turn on Time Machine. No signing up for it. It's there. Just needs an external or 2nd hard drive.

C

chas_m

<bangs head against wall>

This is *precisely* the sort of thing Time Machine is FOR. *Please* tell me you just misunderstood and that you *have* been using it.

Otherwise, you're screwed. You overwrote the original file with the new one. TM is your only hope of getting it back.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
On Microsoft Word (mac) I used a template of a file to create a new file, but instead of saving 'as'.... I just saved!!! And lost the big, big original file!!

How do I recover it? I understand that you can 'turn back time' on mac...

Help!!

Cheers
Did someone send you this template? If so, have them resend it. If not, I'm sure reinstalling Office will restore the original template (assuming it came with Office).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've tried that, but Word won't let me 'Undo'

I didn't mean using the Undo command. I know that won't work. I mean changing it back manually. That's why I said "depending on how many changes...." And if your memory is not that great, it would help to have a printed version to reference. You might want to consider that for other templates that you have.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
Time machine? Signed up? You plug in an external hard drive and turn on Time Machine. No signing up for it. It's there. Just needs an external or 2nd hard drive.

Aha.... sorry... yes... It needs 'setting up' (mistook for 'sign up')

So this means connecting a 2nd hard drive does it? Still does't help my situation does it?

When I say 'template', I mean a manually set up template, with text boxes etc.... the lost file means, re-typing the whole **** thing! Approx 10,000 words..... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.