Transferring contacts from iPhone to MacBook

Reaction score
How do I transfer my contacts from my iPhone 3g to my Macbook Pro? I want to have them backed up in case there are issues transferring my contacts to my new iPhone 4 later this week

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Plug your phone into your Macbook, iTunes will transfer everything and keep it in sync with your Address Book.

Reaction score
Pluging in does not transfer my contacts nor my music on my new MacBook Pro. There
must be some issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tell us exactly what you're trying to do? Are you attempting to transfer your contacts and music from your iPhone (which iPhone do you have?) to your new Mac? Are the contacts and music also on an older Mac or PC?

Reaction score
Transfering contacts and music from IPhone to Macbook Pro

Hi
I AM TRYING TO TRANSFER MY 100 OR SO CONTACTS FROM MY IPHONE3 TO MY NEW MACBOOK PRO... I HAVE TRIED TO FIND THE RIGHT PATH AFTER THE "AUTOMATIC TRANSFER" DOES NOT TAKE PLACE. THIS CONTACT INFORMATION HAS NOT BEEN ON ANY OTHER DEVICE EXCEPT THIS IPHONE. THE ONLY CONTACTS IN MY MACBOOK PRO ARE THE ONES THAT ORIGINATED FROM THE MACBOOK PRO.

ALSO, THE 500 OR SO SONGS ON MY IPHONE WILL NOT TRANSFER AUTOMATICALLY, THESE SONGS WERE ORIGINALLY PURCHASED ON MY OLD PC, ALSO TRANSFERRED TO AN IPOD (NOT NOW IN USE), AND ALSO TRANSFERRED TO MYCURRENT IPHONE. IT APPEARS THE SONGS TRANSFERED DURING ONE OF MY ATTEMPTS TO TRANSFER THEM MANUALLY, AND APPEARED ON THE MAC IN A WEIRD FONT BUT I COULD NOT FIND THEM AFTER THAT.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
An obvious question, but it's best to eliminate all possibilities... Are you doing this through iTunes because that's the app you would need to use to sync and backup contacts, music, apps, etc.

Reaction score
Tell us exactly what you're trying to do? Are you attempting to transfer your contacts and music from your iPhone (which iPhone do you have?) to your new Mac? Are the contacts and music also on an older Mac or PC?

I have a iPhone 4.
I have tried the iTune transfer 'automatic' when phone and MacBook are connected
MacBook Pro is new, 13 inch, 2.5MHz, Mac OSX and iLife
Music from iTunes originally on PC, iPod and now my iPhone
Contacts are on iPhone originally.

Reaction score
Transfer info to macbook pro

I have no luck hooking up my iphone 4, to itunes in my macbook pro, 2.5 ghz dual core i5, mac osx trying to transfer my phone contact information in the iphone to contacts in the mac

C

chas_m

It's difficult to say but at a guess I would say that the music having come from another machine is what's shutting down the whole process. If you still have access to that PC, put the music on a thumb drive and then import it into iTunes on your MBP.

What I'm having trouble understanding is how the contacts could possibly be on the iPhone only. Where did they come from if not the MBP?

Reaction score
Transfering contacts and music from IPhone to Macbook Pro

The contacts were created on the iphone prior to owning the mac. A

Reaction score
TRANSFERING contacts and music from IPhone to Macbook Pro

Yes, the music on my iphone was transfered from my old ipod.
The contacts, though, were created on the iphone and have not been transfered to or from any other machine

C

chas_m

I understand, but as I say I think (just a guess) what is happening is that the sync process sees that your music is not authorized and stops the whole process right there.

Reaction score
To transfer contacts...itunes...view menu....select show side------...select ios device..click back up.....and take it from there.
Thanks anyway

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.