On the fence buying a Ipad looking for some input

Reaction score
There may have been a post on this but I cannot find it being asked recently. I have 13" MBP 2010 model that I just bought a month or so ago. I do not have a Iphone and will wait until it hits the Verizon network (whenever that happens).

I bought the 13" MBP because it is more capable than the Ipad and the MBP is very portable for my needs. However, I am very intrigued with the Ipad. Having the 3g built-in is a large plus for me and is one of the big reason I am looking at getting it. There are some apps on the Ipad/iphone that I cannot get on my Blackberry (yet) that would make my life easier.

I think my big hold up is the cost of the Ipad vs will I really use it enough to justify the cost. I would get the 64gb 3g version just because I would use the space with pictures and movies, but also since you cannot upgrade the memory it is always better to have more than not enough.

My question is: Has anyone been on the fence before buying one and turned out to hate their decision? Or Love their decision?

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks. I have read most of these before and it is not really related to what I am asking. The post "Current ipad owners" is close to wait I am looking for and I had missed that one.

It seems like most people posting loved it or hated it (to a point of never trying it) from the start. I am looking specifically for people who were unsure before they bought it and then their reaction after they had it for while. From my research so far it feels like 50% liked it better but I am looking for some more confirmation.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks. I have read most of these before and it is not really related to what I am asking. The post "Current ipad owners" is close to wait I am looking for and I had missed that one.

It seems like most people posting loved it or hated it (to a point of never trying it) from the start. I am looking specifically for people who were unsure before they bought it and then their reaction after they had it for while. From my research so far it feels like 50% liked it better but I am looking for some more confirmation.

The only way you are truly going to be convinced is to go to the Apple Store and play with an iPad for a while..and think if it's right for you.

You can ask 1 million people who were "on the fence" before buying an iPad...what their thoughts were afterwards...and if 50% were positive & 50% negative...that's not really going to help!

In any case...you gotta make up your own mind. Go with what your "gutt" tells you...which is what you're going to do in the end anyway!:)

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Also...many of the threads I linked MOST DEFINITELY relate to your question/situation. Because many of them discuss the positives & negatives (pros & cons)...as well as the uses...for an iPad. Which is EXACTLY the sort of info that helps you decide to purchase an iPad or not!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I didn't really "need" an iPad but some one offered me one and i decided to go for it. And I'll be honest, I love the thing. Web browsing is super easy and functional, games are great, the display is amazing for watching movies and reading magazine/books.

Mine is the WiFi version, and i started to think the 3G version would have been nice.
But i'm always near a WiFi, so it's pointless.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I bought a 64 gb 3G Friday. So far the coolness factor is about a 10 out of a 10. I had played with them several times before asking my question and I still am on the fence honestly, but I think that is mainly a cost factor for me. Once my wife has the baby carrying a laptop is going to be near impossible and this thing will be golden! I am finding myself reaching for the iPad before the laptop, but that may just be the newness. Overall I am happy with my purchase. :D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It really depends on what you do on a Notebook. I'm considering getting one for my sister since it's her bday next month and she keeps hijacking my new gaming rig. Which I only use for gaming but she uses it to check facebook and watch movies. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Depends. I also have an 13" MBP and an 15" MBP, but gave the 13" to the wife and usually always have the 15" hooked up to an external LCD with the laptop in clam shell mode. I do this in order to do my photo editing, mostly. Of course I do the other general things with it like web, mail etc etc...

To be honest, I might have thought more about getting one if ATT didn't screw us over with their change in data plans, because if I'm going to view the iPad as a truly mobile device, then I also have to face the fact that a lot of the time, wifi will not be available. The apps most usually always depend on an internet connection, so 3g is almost an absolute necessity with it.

Then I took the angle of "what would I really use it for that my iPhone can't already do for me?" Ok, the iPhone's screen isn't anywhere near as large so when I think about that question, I have to apply something which I wouldn't ordinarily apply to the phone. The only real useful application (I don't mean app) I could come up with is using the iPad as an portable portfolio for my photography work. I could show people my website with the flick of a finger, or I could access a hand picked selection of photos which I sync'd as an album with iPhoto.

For me though at this particular moment, I'm just not willing to spend the cash for a first gen product which isn't fully necessary. I've waited this long, and can still hand out business cards until I'm ready to see what the next gen iPad has to offer. And also hope that Apple is able to do business with another mobile provider by that time. I'm kind of doubting it, but that's my logic for now.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Sorry...this sort of question/discussion has been covered a number of times!

Yes but people like a personal response directed to them.
Just like the Apple geniuses. They could have a poster of the 10 most frequent OS X mistakes and how to fix them and that's stop most of the people walking with OS X issues. They'd read the poster and not need to chat to the genius.

But Apple do not do this. Cause the direct contact is comforting. Like for that minute of your day they (at least in part) seem to care about your problem. You're just not $ to Apple. You are a person.

And I think people posting here want the same. An individual response to their questions. And then they can say I went to Mac-Forums and I got a personalised response directed at my issue. And they leave happy.

And I think people leaving happy from these forums is what we want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.