Help with creating a file sharing network

Reaction score
Ok, first of all I know this has been posted on alot, but I can't really gain anything from such posts. Ok, here's my setup in full:

Mac OS X - Panther (with up-to-date updates)
G4 Powerbook (not latest generation, but previous)
Connected Wirelessly

Wireless LinkSys Router (let me get back to you with it's specs)
Comcast Internet (Cable)

Compaq Desktop (Windows XP Home?)
Connected directly

I want to set up a file sharing network, the kind that allows me to access the other computer from a computer. Everything is all setup hardware wise. I have internet on both platforms though can't quite get the network up and running. I am literary illiterate when networking is concerned: I don't know an ICX from a UDP or ISP. Though I'm not entirely ignorant.

I have managed to set up a "FCP?" so that I can access files in my mac home directory from my pc. The trouble is that it's not mutual. I constantly have to input my mac password and the connection is slow. Also this is not what I'm looking for.

I've set certain folders to share on my pc, but have had no luck detecting any on my mac. I use the "command k" module and inserted the "smb?" thing followed directly by my pc's ip address. Now, I either get an error saying "password...?...error" or "error...no...?" (these aren't what it says, just bits of what I can remember.) If my windows computer is infact restricting access to my laptop, then there is something I am surely missing here. I've unlocked "every" single security tool on both platforms to the point where I'm sure people in Belgium are connecting to me, and still, no luck.

Ok, I'd appreciate if someone could give me a link to a heavily descriptive tutorial, or point me in the right direction, or just help me out. Remember, I want to access both systems regardless of which one I'm on.

I appologize for the "?"s and the "..."s, but I'm at work, and I really don't have access to this information at the moment.

Thanks for reading my post

B

badmojo

I have something I downloaded from the web, but I don't remember where I got it. It's "networking 10.3 with Win XP/2000". I'll email it you you if you want. Otherwise try googling something like Network OSX with Windows XP". There's lots of guides out there.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Mod note: More meaningful title

OP
V
Reaction score
badmojo said:
I have something I downloaded from the web, but I don't remember where I got it. It's "networking 10.3 with Win XP/2000". I'll email it you you if you want. Otherwise try googling something like Network OSX with Windows XP". There's lots of guides out there.

Thanks alot

Do you think it will resolve?

OP
V
Reaction score
Hey, great news guys!

My rounter and cable modem fried!

I no longer have any form of connection!

:radioacti

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.