Applecare for iPhone 4

Reaction score
Is it worth it? Has anyone had experience where they were glad they had it or wished they had it?

I am considering getting it for our iPhone 4's when we get them bc buying a replacement would suck.

Is the following covered:
Losing the phone,
cracked screen,
dropped in water

Any other good things it covers or stuff it doesn't cover?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It will not cover loss or water damage. Cracked screen would depend on how it got cracked. It's an extended warranty, it's not insurance.

As for is it worth it? Probably depends on how long you think you'll keep the phone. The iPhone has a 1 year warranty already so if you don't plan on keeping much beyond that, then it's not worth it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Does ATT offer insurance for the iPhone? As I was posting that, my wife informed me ironically she had left her blackberry from Verizon on the roof of her car as she pulled out from a parking spot and just realized it... so I had to go grab a roadrashed blackberry from a parking lot haha. So now I'm really interested in this subject haha

OP
B
Reaction score
Crap, just looked up ATT's insurance and it is not applicable to iPhones... too bad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 3GS 16GB Ipad 16GB
I think State Farm will do it!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
I think State Farm will do it!!
xD Ahaha
You can buy Apple Care ANYTIME in the one year warrenty it already has, and you can grab one on eBay for $30 instead of there $99 (i think its that much). It just has to be Legit. They dont cover you for water damage. If the screen as a dead pixel, the home button breaks, etc etc then they will replace it free of charge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The warranty essentially covers manufacturing defects - stuff Apple got wrong. It in no way covers whatever unfortunate things you may inadvertently do to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
My speaker broke a couple months ago, and went in and they replaced it in seconds. I wouldn't buy a phone without it unless, as stated, you are planning on keeping it for no more than a year.

Reaction score
Well, Apple Care for iPhone (from Apple) is $69. As mentioned above it will only cover manufacturing defects for an extra year, NOT any accidental damage or loss.

Even when I got my iPhone wet and shorted out the vibrate switch, I only paid $200 to get a brand new iPhone. There are services where people will replace cracked screens for you.

$69 is a large chunk of the purchase price to extend a warranty for a year considering most modern electronics will malfunction in that first year if they are going to do so. It makes more sense to me to save the $69 in case I need to replace the phone. It's called "self-insuring". If you saved up all the money that you would have spent on extended warranties, even in a plain savings account (much less a money market savings account), you'd likely have more than enough money to pay for any needed repairs out of pocket.

There's a reason they always push extended warranties at places like Best Buy and Apple--because they make money on that bet.

Now, if Apple Care was a real "insurance" plan that covered damage from water or dropping it, then it might be a little more tempting, but probably not still worth it unless you're just trashing yours all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes they're legit. Apple doesn't care where you purchase the AppleCare code from, it just needs to be an unused code.

Considering the guy has all positive reviews and the AppleCare are sealed new boxes that are physically sent to your address and it qualifies for eBay's buyer protection...yep, it's pretty safe.

Now if it's a seller just offering to e-mail you the code, those I don't trust as much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a great 1/2 price link then!

I buy all my AppleCare and my MobileMe stuff from eBay usually. It's so much cheaper than getting it from Apple directly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I've had all 3 iPhones so far and never had an issue with any of them. I think it basically comes down to how long you plan to keep it. If you plan to keep it for 3 years I think it would be a good idea to get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz/ 4GB ram/ 250GB HDD, 2nd Gen 16GB ipod touch, 64GB + 3G iPad
Have you checked with the company that you have your homeowners insurance with? I have my dslr camera & lenses, video camera, iPad, Macbook & cell phone all covered. I have to list them separately, but everything is covered against accidents/theft/loss with no deductible except for the cell phone which has a $50 deductible if it is stolen or vandalized. My cell phone was $3.50 per $100 per year to insure. Everything else was less than that. I consider it money well spent since I have four kids. :D

Wendy

Reaction score
Hmm, i didn't know you could buy for so much cheaper on eBay. Anyone know if Apple will take a copy of AppleCare back on return if it's unopened?

OP
B
Reaction score
You ONLY paid 200 to replace? How did you do that? Say I dropped this phone and crack the screen, wouldn't I be out 800 bucks to buy a new one? I'm hoping for some sort of insurance for that, those accidental incidents...

Anyone had any experience with SquareTrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.