• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Nintendo 3Ds. What do you think of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Nintendo E3 Network | Nintendo 3DS

Is this just a portable dual screen Nintendo 64? Or is this Nintendo's next big thing? I dunno about it. I own an original fat gray Nintendo DS. I really wanted it at the time. But since getting it all those years ago I think it's gotten hardly any of my game time.

Do you think this device will be actually worth getting.

Top Screen:
3.53-inch widescreen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses; with 800x240 pixel resolution (400 pixels are allocated for each eye to enable 3D viewing).

This bit always puzzles me. I understand how 3D works with the glasses. But without the glasses how does that work?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Not sure how it works, but I haven't seen the actual thing yet. Only saw people's reactions to playing with and it seems pretty awesome.

I'm getting one for sure if I have money left over after buying a new iMac when school starts again in the fall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Yawntastic gimmick to me. Now everyone else is going to have to have a "3d" screen. I think "3d" is far overrated and I am honestly sick of this trend. I am just waiting on it to die out like it did in the 50's - 80's I wish it'd hurry up already.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yawntastic gimmick to me. Now everyone else is going to have to have a "3d" screen. I think "3d" is far overrated and I am honestly sick of this trend. I am just waiting on it to die out like it did in the 50's - 80's I wish it'd hurry up already.

Well it might be gimmicky but I kind of need a new NDS anyways since my sister pretty much hijacks mine all the time. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Nintendo E3 Network | Nintendo 3DS

Is this just a portable dual screen Nintendo 64? Or is this Nintendo's next big thing? I dunno about it. I own an original fat gray Nintendo DS. I really wanted it at the time. But since getting it all those years ago I think it's gotten hardly any of my game time.

Do you think this device will be actually worth getting.

This bit always puzzles me. I understand how 3D works with the glasses. But without the glasses how does that work?

I can imagine several ways of doing 3d without glasses. None that complicated if the device is designed for a single user that will be pretty much straight out from the screen. If you were designing TVs for only 1 person setting right in the sweet spot you could eliminate the need for 3D glasses there too... but TVs are designed for multiple viewers at any given angle so you can't make a display that favors only 1 good spot.

1 way of doing this would be for have a screen designed so only half the pixels were viewable from an angle off the right center and the other pixels were only viewable from an angle off the left (which would be perfect for a handheld device that a user would be having roughly in the center of their view). Once you had that screen set up you would be able to do all sorts of 3D stuff without glasses.

I haven't seen the 3ds in person so I can't tell if that's the method they are using but it would seem like the cheapest way of doing it.

Reaction score
the8thark, read this article from IGN E3 2010: 3DS: Our First Hands-on - DS Preview at IGN

This thing is going to be amazing. The top screen is really two duel screens - one for each eye. apparently it looks amazing, and there is even a slider on the side to control how much depth you want in your 3d! Not feeling the 3d? you can even turn it off! :D

anyways, great read, and I hope it helps answer some questions for ya.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
the8thark, read this article from IGN E3 2010: 3DS: Our First Hands-on - DS Preview at IGN The top screen is really two duel screens - one for each eye. apparently it looks amazing, and there is even a slider on the side to control how much depth you want in your 3d! Not feeling the 3d? you can even turn it off! :D

I read that you had to hold the 3DS just right to get the effect, so that to get the effect you can not move it a lot. I have not seen anyone describe what a lot is though. Everything has to be lined up. I usually play laying down. I can't see holding it perfectly still so everything stays lined up.

I really hate 3D anyway. I love the DS, but this doesn't look like much of an upgrade. Also, would the 3D make me motion sick? I know movies do, but a smaller screen may have less effect. I feel sick with some first person shooters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro quad core 2.80 ghz , 4 gig ram, dual 8800 gtx SLI, Mac Mini dual core 1.83, 2 gig ram
I read that you had to hold the 3DS just right to get the effect, so that to get the effect you can not move it a lot. I have not seen anyone describe what a lot is though. Everything has to be lined up. I usually play laying down. I can't see holding it perfectly still so everything stays lined up.

I really hate 3D anyway. I love the DS, but this doesn't look like much of an upgrade. Also, would the 3D make me motion sick? I know movies do, but a smaller screen may have less effect. I feel sick with some first person shooters.

Yea i wonder how long you can play on it without getting a headache, that being said i have my iphone for gaming. ;D

Reaction score
I bought the NDSi when it came out to replace my old original DS, I'll have to see if I can trade it in for this one if I want one. It sounds cool though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB
I used to like Nintendo, still do, but since the 360 came on the scene, i've been distant from them.

I might pick the 3DS up and start playing Animal Crossing and stuff, i used to love Animal Crossing Wild World, spent hours on end playing that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.