PDA

View Full Version : Updated Read Post Method

schweb
06-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi everyone,
We're experimenting with using a new method to keep track of read posts. You may notice weird behavior the first time you come back to the forums since we made the change, but it should be correct after that point. I suggest going under quick links and select "Mark Forums Read" after your done, if you see something strange.

After that, please let us know if you see any weird behavior you're not expecting.

pigoo3
06-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the "head's up" Schweb"!:) I immediately noticed what you described...I was like 20 PAGES of unread threads...woah!

Hey...what's up with the new VW avatar?

- Nick

schweb
06-15-2010, 05:55 PM

Oh I just like to change things up every so often ;)

dtravis7
06-15-2010, 05:58 PM
I have a whole page full of unread threads! :D

I will let you know later if it keeps it up. Should be fine.

EndlessMac
06-15-2010, 06:32 PM

I think that's really the important issue that needs to be talked about in this thread. ;)

pigoo3
06-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I think that's really the important issue that needs to be talked about in this thread. ;)

Of course!;)

- Nick

schweb
06-15-2010, 06:39 PM
You know this happens every time I change my avatar :P

pigoo3
06-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Oh I just like to change things up every so often ;)

You had that other avatar for quite a while! I thought maybe you just got a new car (VW)...and so were displaying your "affinity" for VW's!;)

I have a 1979 VW Beetle convertible...so I'm a bit of a VW fan!:)

- Nick

dtravis7
06-15-2010, 08:46 PM
You know this happens every time I change my avatar :P

Should I do this? I think I will. Where is that Square Chicken! :D

schweb
06-15-2010, 08:58 PM
The square chicken is right representing us on Twitter ;)

chscag
06-16-2010, 12:46 PM
I thought it was just me or perhaps even the update to SL that caused all my previous read messages to show up as not read. Thanks for the heads up. After I read this last night I was able to set things back to normal.

Regards.

schweb
06-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I thought it was just me or perhaps even the update to SL that caused all my previous read messages to show up as not read. Thanks for the heads up. After I read this last night I was able to set things back to normal.

Regards.

Yep, other than a one-time blip after you first visit since the change, overall this method should hopefully give much more accurate results over time, especially if you look at Mac-Forums from multiple different locations or machines.

clayneal
06-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Yep, other than a one-time blip after you first visit since the change, overall this method should hopefully give much more accurate results over time, especially if you look at Mac-Forums from multiple different locations or machines.

Its really nice to have the same read posts on my Mac and iPhone . Now if we could just switch from the iPhone skin to the regular ....

Clay

rman
06-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the update, I was wondering why I have so many unread threads. When I know i looked at more than have of them. :D

schweb
06-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Now if we could just switch from the iPhone skin to the regular ....

Clay

We don't like options. ;D

bobtomay
06-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Gave me a chance to clear out some of my subscriptions again.

I like that it doesn't mark every thread read since the last visit whether I read them or not.

schweb
06-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Gave me a chance to clear out some of my subscriptions again.

I like that it doesn't mark every thread read since the last visit whether I read them or not.

Yep, it just segments them out.

bobtomay
06-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Plus, when you go to 'Profile' and then visit one of your subscribed threads - then hit the back button, it auto updates now and removes the one you just read instead of it still being there - that's pretty cool.

pigoo3
06-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Plus, when you go to 'Profile' and then visit one of your subscribed threads - then hit the back button, it auto updates now and removes the one you just read instead of it still being there - that's pretty cool.

Yes I noticed this as well. The removal of a thread you just read does have it's good & bad points.

- Good point...it removes it from the unread list (after you've read the thread).
- Bad point...sometimes harder to find a thread you may have replied to...and you wanted to edit your reply.

I am also experiencing a lot of old threads "hanging around" (instead of just newly replied to or created threads). For example...with the frequency that I visit the site. At about 10:30pm I usually only see about 10-15 new or updated threads to read. But tonight there are over 109 threads.

15 of them are the "normal" new ones...and then I get the message:

"The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts....

Followed by 94 old threads. I tried using the "Quick Links" > "Mark Forums Read" suggestion in "Schwebs" thread from yesterday announcing the changes...and that worked for a while.

But before the changes yesterday...I never had this problem. Like a lot of people...there are threads that I read...and some that I don't. And it seems to be the threads that I don't read...that seem to be "hanging around" between visits to Mac-Forums. Previously...all threads (read or unread) would disappear between visits to the site (say at least an hour between visits). Then only newly created threads or updated threads would be in the list.

I will try "bobtomay's" suggestion of using the "Quick Links" > "Today's Posts"...and see if that helps.

- Nick

schweb
06-17-2010, 12:23 AM
That's because the old cookie-based solution basically just said "hey, we're just gonna mark everything as read after so long whether you actually read it or not".

The new server based solution says, "we're only going to mark read what you actually read or when you click 'mark all forums read'". Everything else that has new stuff, but that you haven't read will simply be placed below that line "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts".

You can ignore everything below that line or mark the forums as read and they'll disappear. They'll also fall off that list if you still haven't read them after 5 days (this will be adjusted up or down as we see how the system plays out).

The new system is much more accurate and it works much better for people viewing the site from multiple devices.

pigoo3
06-17-2010, 12:40 AM
schweb...thanks for the explanation.:)

I only mentioned the above details just in case that wasn't the way things were supposed to work...but it sounds like things are working fine.

Thanks again...just need to adjust to the changes.:)

- Nick

schweb
06-17-2010, 12:42 AM
No problem. It is a little different until you get used to it.

But given the large percentage of our members that visit the site on Macs, iPhones, iPads, and work computers, the change is definitely a net positive.

bobtomay
06-17-2010, 05:56 AM
The new system is much more accurate and it works much better for people viewing the site from multiple devices.

Exactly... I'm lovin' it so far. I'm one of those that visit from a minimum of 3 different systems on a daily basis. I'll visit at work on occasion and don't have much time there really. Then when I get home, everything that I haven't read is still marked unread. This is a big plus for me.

toMACsh
06-18-2010, 09:17 PM
What I don't like about this new system:
I routinely visit 5 of the forums. If I pay attention and notice that there's something new in this forum (as I've been advised to do!) I might not have the time to make an "extra stop" right then. If I then remember to mark the forums as read (50-50 proposition, you understand) then next time I come back, if there are no new posts to that announcement, the forum will be marked as read...

schweb
06-18-2010, 09:23 PM
You don't have to mark the forum read each time.

pigoo3
06-18-2010, 09:32 PM
My routine or strategy for each visit to Mac-forums (since the changes) is:

- Click on "Get New".
- Read the threads I'm interested in.
- Then when I'm done, under "Quick Links", I choose "Mark Forums as Read".

I know that I really don't have to do this. I just prefer to know that with each new visit to Mac-Forums...every thread after I click "Get New"...is an actual new thread or updated thread...and I avoid getting this message:

"The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts".

If there is an easier way of accomplishing the same thing...please let me know.:)

- Nick

toMACsh
06-19-2010, 04:13 PM
You don't have to mark the forum read each time.

It's a pain in the you know where when I come back to not do so.