No sound in Windows 7 Boot Camp Install

Reaction score
Hi

I have an audio problem that I can't figure out. From searching threads on several forums, I think my problem is that I need to load MAC drivers from the MAC OS install disk to get sound [and probably some other things] working in Windows 7 running on a Boot Camp partition. I had just assumed that the MAC function keys for volume and such were not going to work. Now I am thinking maybe they will if I install MAC drivers. My original problem is below - No sound. Any guidance is appreciated.

I installed Windows 7 on a Boot Camp partition in my 13" Mac Book. The Mac is not a Mac Book Pro. Its an Aluminum Uni-Body Mac Book purchased new in December 2008. The Mac partition has MAC OS 10.5.5 loaded on it. I have been told by several Apple geniuses that there is no such thing as this model so let me clarify that there is. It has no fire wire port and no back lit keys.

The problem is no sound when booted into Windows 7. Nothing out of the speakers and nothing out of the headphone jack. Audio works fine when I am booted into the MAC OS. I have not tried SPDIF as I have nothing to test it with. In Device Manager everything is fine, working normally and enabled. Speakers Properties are all set to default - 16 bit 44.1Khz sampling rate. Both Exclusive Mode boxes are checked. Enhancements are all off, level is up and balance is at 50 % Left/Right.

There are 4 drivers listed at C:\Windows\system32\drivers

dmk.sys
HdAudio.sys
ksthunk.sys
portcls.sys

There are 2 listed at C:\Windows \system32

SysFxUI.dll
WMALFXGFXDSP.dll

Provided is Microsoft. File Version says 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi!

Hi

I have an audio problem that I can't figure out. From searching threads on several forums, I think my problem is that I need to load MAC drivers from the MAC OS install disk to get sound [and probably some other things] working in Windows 7 running on a Boot Camp partition. I had just assumed that the MAC function keys for volume and such were not going to work. Now I am thinking maybe they will if I install MAC drivers. My original problem is below - No sound. Any guidance is appreciated.

I installed Windows 7 on a Boot Camp partition in my 13" Mac Book. The Mac is not a Mac Book Pro. Its an Aluminum Uni-Body Mac Book purchased new in December 2008. The Mac partition has MAC OS 10.5.5 loaded on it. I have been told by several Apple geniuses that there is no such thing as this model so let me clarify that there is. It has no fire wire port and no back lit keys.

The Apple geniuses were wrong - you have the Aluminum Late 2008 Mac Book (AKA Unibody Macbook) The illuminated keys only appeared on the 2.4GHz model and neither of them had firewire.

Also note, your comp is a Mac, not a MAC - MAC stands for Media Access Control and refers to an identifying number assigned to your given network interfaces.

You need to run the Bootcamp install program from your OSX install DVD. It will install all of the drivers you need. Of course, you will also want to make sure you update bootcamp immediately as your drivers are most likely old and out of date so it's best to get the most current version (it's about a 250meg download)

Here's a good step by step you can check with for overall bootcamp operation:

Using Boot Camp to install Windows 7 on your Mac: The Complete Walkthrough – Simple Help

Good luck.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Those are the wrong drivers. You need the drivers which are supplied on the Snow Leopard DVD but as an alternative you can try this after installing drivers from your Leopard DVD:

Update your Windows Boot Camp first to 2.1 and then to 2.2. (Download and install from within Windows 7) If that doesn't resolve the problem, you may have to purchase the Snow Leopard upgrade DVD from either Apple or Best Buy = cost $29.99. Use the SL DVD to install drivers for Win 7. (Boot Camp 3.0).

Note: You don't have to upgrade OS X from Leopard to Snow Leopard, just use the DVD to install drivers. You can not obtain Boot Camp 3.0 any other way as it is not downloadable.

After the install of Boot Camp 3.0, go to the Apple site and download Boot Camp 3.1 and install from within Win 7. That will bring you up to date on all the latest drivers for Win 7. That includes sound and video.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks so much for the replies. I know its a driver issue but I am confused about Boot Camp in general.

I thought Boot Camp was just a utility that Apple provides to allow you to set up a Windows partition and install Windows on it without wiping your drive. IIRC, the version I have will not format NTFS which Windows 7 requires so I did not even try to use it.

Here is what I did -

First, I made an image of W7 with Windows backup utility,and made an image of the Mac with Disk Utility. Also had a Time Machine backup.

Bought a new [larger] drive, mounted it in a W7 machine, initialized it and made 2 equal partitions, both formatted NTFS.

Installed in the Mac, booted to W7 64-bit recovery disk and restored the W7 image to partition 1. Booted to the W7 partition to verify - OK.

Booted to Mac OS install disk and formatted partition 2 as Mac OS Extended Journaled. Restored the Mac image with Disk Utility. Had trouble here - the Mac partition showed up as a boot option but the name under the picture of a hard drive was not what I typed in. If selected it, I got a spinning wheel for a long time followed by a W7 boot. [Wah]

Booted to Mac OS install disc again, re-formatted partition 2 again and restored from Time Machine using Disk Utility. Booted to Mac partition to verify - Worked.

That's it. My procedure did not involve Boot Camp at all. So I am confused. Now I am reading about Boot Camp 2.2 drivers that resolve issues with the track pad, and turn off the SPDIF LED when not in use.

This may be a really dumb question but what does Boot Camp have to do with drivers? I thought it just allowed disk partitioning without wiping the entire disk, so as not to interfere with your Mac setup.

Finally, how do I load these Mac drivers into W7? I don't think Windows will read the Mac install disk [though I do have MacDrive 8]. I can boot to it but Mac OS cannot write to an NTFS partition so how do I install drivers to W7? There is a third party utility that allows the Mac OS full access to NTFS partitions [which I may get] but I am sure I am not understanding something basic here.

Help !! and Thanks !

EVGABuzzer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You really went around installing windows in a way not really approved. Bootcamp is much more then just partitioning.

First operation of Bootcamp is to (in a single drive system, or multi drive system if you're sharing an existing drive) resize an existing partition and make it possible to install. It also provides all the drivers and BIOS emulation necessary to be able to use a windows based OS on a Mac (realize, although Win7 supports EFI bios systems, OS' like XP does not, and neither did vista until SP1 so those OS' required an emulation layer there). The OSX disc is setup like many other dual os discs where in Windows it will only show files stored in a windows compatible session and on OSX it will only show OSX compatible files (simple example of another older program that does this is Diablo - if you get a disc that is meant for Win9x and MacOS, you'll find you'll only see the MacOS executables when you mount the cd in a Mac OS).

When you insert the OSX DVD (well, snow leopard as pointed out by Chscag for windows 7 compatible drivers; the leopard disc has XP and Vista drivers.) there is an executable file on there which will install a bootcamp control panel (to adjust things like which OS to boot into, activating firewire target disk mode on reboot, track pad functionality on a laptop, etc.) as well as all of the drivers for the Mac hardware.

Dare I say, most people that do a Windows install on a Mac system will use the bootcamp software on the OSX side to setup the partitions and initiate a reboot for windows install rather then the butchered way you did it. Honestly, you're lucky it worked - usually if systems are different enough, windows doesn't act nice when attempting to run an install on one piece of hardware on another.

OP
E
Reaction score
Oh

YIKES ! - I had no idea Boot Camp did all that. Please excuse. I read the tutorial on it and it does cover installing Boot Camp drivers. I guess I am lucky and it sounds like it would not have worked with XP.

Thank you for informing me.

I was wrong when I said Boot Camp would not format NTFS - I checked and it will. My Boot Camp Assistant is version 2.0. I did the initial W7 install using Boot Camp [quite a long time ago so I have forgotten some of the details]. I allocated 50G for W7. Problem was by the time I loaded my apps, I was running out of space. So I bought a larger drive. I did not want to do a complete re-install of W7 and all the apps so that's why I made the images and did what I did.

When I restored the W7 image on the new larger partition, it came up the same size as the old one. The extra space was unallocated. I tried to expand it using W7 Disk Manager but it would not work because of the Mac partition. MacDrive8 kept intervening and stopping the process saying it was "protecting a Mac disk". So I tried using MacDrive. It could see the partitions but all options to format and such were not available for that disk. I guess I should have just disabled MacDrive which I finally had to do.

Question - Since the W7 image was made from an install that was done using Boot Camp, do I actually have the benefit of everything Boot Camp does? Any drivers and such would be in that image. I guess BIOS emulation would be too - if its emulation, then its software so it should be in the W7 disk image - correct [I hope]?

Maybe my sound problem is simply because the drivers Boot Camp 2.0 provided are not working with W7. So do I need to start completely over and do it the" right way", or can I try loading drivers from my Mac OS Install disk and perhaps get Boot Camp 2.2 drivers for W7 64-Bit which are available without upgrading to Snow Leopard.

Thanks again for educating me.

EVGABuzzer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.