Magsafe power adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac|MacBook
Im now going on my fourth magsafe power adapter. Is apple going to change this? Its a good idea to have it magnetized but the cord isnt durable at all, makes me want to make the change back to PC for my next computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Just out of curiosity what in the world are you doing with your power cord?? I'd heard some people had trouble with their mag safe cables, but not enough to burn thru 4 adapters.

Now, I do know they did re-design the magsafe connector for the recent line of Macbooks - my MBP's magsafe cable comes into a solid shaft that makes the cable parallel to the case of the laptop rather then perpendicular to it like the old design.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Im now going on my fourth magsafe power adapter. Is apple going to change this? Its a good idea to have it magnetized but the cord isnt durable at all, makes me want to make the change back to PC for my next computer.

Stop one second, and think how many folks out there have Macintosh laptops with magsafe power adapters. I have heard of only a few folks having problems. Usually it's either an accident on the users part...or possibly a defective power adapter. When they get their 2nd adapter everything is usually fine.

If you're on a 4th adapter...you obviously are either very accident prone, not being very careful, just abusing the equipment...or a combination of all three!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Best go back to PC! Looks like we got a troll guys!

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac|MacBook
Unfortunately im not trolling, just an unhappy customer. Apples software is no doubt #1 but the hardware isnt so great.

The first magsafe adapter likely was my fault since i had it bent sharply and it eventually frayed and burnt out. the next two i consciously kept stretched out straight and just burnt out for no reason. the newest version that stays parallel with the macbook looks even worse. i went to bestbuy today to buy a new one and they were sold out (surprise surprise).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You know those cords aren't meant to be used to tow cars out of ditches, right?
I've had the same adapter and cord that came with my MBP almost 2 years ago and apart from a little fingerprint here or there, you couldn't tell it wasn't brand new. I by no means baby mine either.
...Very odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Anyone else get the feeling we are about to see a " oh... Look what I found , a better adapter *insert link for the company he works for here*" type of post ?

Clay

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac|MacBook
Anyone else get the feeling we are about to see a " oh... Look what I found , a better adapter *insert link for the company he works for here*" type of post ?

Clay

No none of that either. Im just saying that after dishing out thousands on a macbook when i could have gotten a faster pc for half the price you would expect everything to be top notch. This isnt the only thing thats gone wrong either (fried logicboard, touchpad mouse key stopped working, earphone jack doesnt work). They need to work on the durability considering the macbook is ideal for uni students traveling to and from class with their laptops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, iPod Touch 32g, White Macbook, ATV2, iPad 32g, iPhone 4
Wow. Sounds like you're pretty rough on the equipment. I am sure a Dell, or HP, or any other "faster for half the price" pc you buy is going to experience the same problems if you abuse it also.

For the record, my MacBook is 3 years old, and looks, and operates like the day I bought it. MagSafe adapter is like new, and I travel weekly for business.

Best of luck with your new pc. I'll stay with my Mac. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.