PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to "link" what I've marked as read on all my devices?

MYmacROX
06-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Basically, if I'm logged in on my MBP and mark a forum as "read", why does it show up as "unread" when I move over to my iPad? Can forums I've marked as read be associated/updated with my account regardless of the machine I'm using to access mac-forums?
Not a big deal, but something I was curious about. :)

chscag
06-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Not sure why it happens between your MBP and iPad, but when I log in from Windows 7, the forum keeps up with my already read posts. It may have something to do with your IP address as it's likely different when posting from your iPad vs the MBP. In my situation, the IP address is the same.

Regards.

MYmacROX
06-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Ok, I tried to manually change the IP address on my MBP to the same as my iPad's and System Preferences wouldn't let me because the iPad was on, and my network wouldn't allow two devices to use the same IP address. This wouldn't be a problem except that I sometimes do use both at the same time. Especially if my wife is home and using one, then I use the other.

Is that a correct assessment?

chscag
06-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Yes, that's correct. As long as your MBP and iPad are on the same network feed they will be assigned different IP addresses. There's no way that I know of to change that.

To verify what I said in my first post, I noticed that if I log into the forums from my work computer (Windows machine) at our office, the read flag is lost from my previous log in. It's like every post is new again.

Maybe Admin can step in here and clarify this, but I'm not sure there is anything they can do for now. It may be something the INET folks have to change.

Regards.

schweb
06-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Actually it was a cookie based system previously, nothing to do with your IP address.

We just switched to a server based system to help give more consistency across devices:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/205252-updated-read-post-method.html

That should solve your issue. :)

MYmacROX
06-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Nicely done! I can now go from my iPad to my MBP and M-F is always "current". ;)