Ok....

F

Fomer

Ok I did some snooping last night around and found so many people who didnt turn off powerbooks and ibooks. I was really lerious because my cousin and best friend (both windows users sadly they havent seen the light) But they have laptops and the first thing they told me is don't leave it on over night. So like any good friend I headed their warnings but last night all th epost finally convinced me... (I have been turning my computer off every night before I go to sleep ever since I got it. This night I went apple logo Sleep (makes me feel better about putting it to sleep besides just slamming the lid) Let it sleep all night and wow everything this morning is fast, stable.... my pb hasnt preformed this good since I bought it, no joke. So my question is do you guys let yours sleep some nights (I have lan connection to) and one thing I was told by my isp is its better the net to stay up and running constantly. (with a break every week) But screw my net it didnt cost 2,000... :D What's best for my PB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I leave it on every once in awhile, but I usually shut it down at night, just so that I can free all the memory, run shutdown scripts and startup scripts.. But the reason I leave it on sometimes is because there are maintenance scripts that work around 3am or so.. and those are nice to have run once in awhile. I quite doing that though once I downloaded Onyx and I just started running them from there.. So.. I guess that means I usually shut it down at night :)

OP
F

Fomer

Murlyn said:
I leave it on every once in awhile, but I usually shut it down at night, just so that I can free all the memory, run shutdown scripts and startup scripts.. But the reason I leave it on sometimes is because there are maintenance scripts that work around 3am or so.. and those are nice to have run once in awhile. I quite doing that though once I downloaded Onyx and I just started running them from there.. So.. I guess that means I usually shut it down at night :)

What is onyx, is that something I need/want? If you don't mind sharing please do. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I never shut down my iBook and only restart it when I need to because of an update. Otherwise I just shut the lid at night and put it to sleep. Everything runs just fine. I use MacJanitor to run the clean-up scripts that normally run in the middle of the night.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
schweb said:
I never shut down my iBook and only restart it when I need to because of an update. Otherwise I just shut the lid at night and put it to sleep. Everything runs just fine. I use MacJanitor to run the clean-up scripts that normally run in the middle of the night.

I shutdown all of my computers and run MacJanitor also. Because of the hard disk being spun down, the task will not be completed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I'm currently using MacJanitor. How does OynX compare to it? I'm not a "hard-core" user, and it seems the OynX offers a good deal of options and parameters that might become overwhelming to me. I'm a big fan of the simplicity of clicking "All Tasks" and having MacJanitor take care of the rest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if you take a look at the reviews on both Versiontracker.com and MacUpdate.com then you'll have a decent idea.. I havent used both, so I really don't know :) My impression from users that have used both, really like Onyx.. so I went with Onyx ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Murlyn said:
Well if you take a look at the reviews on both Versiontracker.com and MacUpdate.com then you'll have a decent idea.. I havent used both, so I really don't know :) My impression from users that have used both, really like Onyx.. so I went with Onyx ;)

I just installed it and played around with it. It appears to do everything that MacJanitor does, and obviously quite a bit more, so I just deleted MacJanitor. It's actually quite a bit to take in, but I'll read over the help files and gradually get myself comfortable with it. Nice program though.

OP
U

unl33t

how long i leave my pb on

Fomer said:
Ok I did some snooping last night around and found so many people who didnt turn off powerbooks and ibooks. I was really lerious because my cousin and best friend (both windows users sadly they havent seen the light) But they have laptops and the first thing they told me is don't leave it on over night. So like any good friend I headed their warnings but last night all th epost finally convinced me... (I have been turning my computer off every night before I go to sleep ever since I got it. This night I went apple logo Sleep (makes me feel better about putting it to sleep besides just slamming the lid) Let it sleep all night and wow everything this morning is fast, stable.... my pb hasnt preformed this good since I bought it, no joke. So my question is do you guys let yours sleep some nights (I have lan connection to) and one thing I was told by my isp is its better the net to stay up and running constantly. (with a break every week) But screw my net it didnt cost 2,000... :D What's best for my PB?

http://uptimes.hostingwired.com/account.php?op=details&hid=7392
my specific laptop...

if you look though this list you'll see a few pb and ib's that have a long uptime (rincewind with an uptime of 70+ days!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i just installed onyx and it says that my processor frequency on my powerbook is 667 mhz. i have 867mhz g4 and was just wondering if onyx is just off or is the frequency something different

OP
U

unl33t

trpnmonkey41 said:
i just installed onyx and it says that my processor frequency on my powerbook is 667 mhz. i have 867mhz g4 and was just wondering if onyx is just off or is the frequency something different

*making a small assumption here afterin stalling onyx myself* frequency is 667, the 867 is your processor speed. if i remember correctly after the glance i took... mine also has a frequency of 667, but its a 1ghz PB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
k just makin sure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:

It also says my bus is 99 Mhz. Where's my other 1 Mhz? :mad: :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm.. strange.. Onyx says 133 MHz for my bus and 667 MHz for my frequency, which is my clock speed and I believe my bus speed... Did you check what your mac says it is at? Go to the Apple menu and select "About this Mac" and click on "More Info..." What does it say there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my mac says its 867 g4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Report it to Onyx :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
Hmm.. strange.. Onyx says 133 MHz for my bus and 667 MHz for my frequency, which is my clock speed and I believe my bus speed... Did you check what your mac says it is at? Go to the Apple menu and select "About this Mac" and click on "More Info..." What does it say there?

Yes, System Profiler says 100 MHz bus speed. Not sure why OnyX indicates 99.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
unl33t said:
*making a small assumption here afterin stalling onyx myself* frequency is 667, the 867 is your processor speed. if i remember correctly after the glance i took... mine also has a frequency of 667, but its a 1ghz PB

My iBook is a 900 MHz, and OnyX indicates my frequency as 900 MHz.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.