Lexmark all-in-one - no red? Is it worthless?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hi guys.
Ok my (fairly) trusty Lexmark all-in-one has decided that it doesn't like printing red anymore, despite having a good clean and new cartridges.
I was wondering if anyone else had come across this, and wether it was fixable, or is it a gonner and I need a new one?
I have looked around for an answer but no luck really. How is it possible for one colour to fail?
Cheers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to a friend of mine who swears by Lexmark printers, he says that not only do the cartridges get clogged but also the print head may be at fault.

The only advice I can give you is to tear it apart and try to find where the ink is being blocked around the print head itself. Nowadays, printers are rather inexpensive to replace but it's the ink supplies that cost an arm and a leg!

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Thanks. I did wonder if it was the head. Cheap inks don't help I guess (I never print photo's so don't pay the premium prices)
I'll strip it back then and keep you posted.
Thanks to your friend too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Stand the cartridge on an alcohol wipe for a couple of hours Kevriano and see if the alcohol is drawn up into the print head, dissolving any blockage. If you are re-filling, cheap inks will kill the print head and rarely do they last past two or three refills. Also some of the cheapie brand new cartridges use inferior inks which will dry out if left unused or in the packet for six months or so.

Black is the only cartidge worth re-filling.

Reaction score
Do the cartridges sit in the print head or are there tiny plastic tubes that carry the ink. These tubes can get stopped up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.