Bought 3GS 2.5 Weeks Ago - iPhone 4 Upgrade Eligibilty?

Reaction score
My 3G went face down in a puddle of water while charging overnight, so I had to get a new phone and went for the 3GS. I was unaware of the eligibility limitations - but under this new purchase, I am not eligible for iPhone 4 until May 2011.

Question - I am aware there is a 30-day iPhone return policy. Has anyone ever upgraded under the 30-day return policy from 3G to 3GS? If so, how did you go about it? (Cancel account and get a cheapy interim AT&T phone?)

Just curious, and thank you for any thoughts/suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
Since ur not eligible for the early upgrade; the only way if for you to buy the phone seperately for $699 (32GB) other then tht your gonna have to wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Above post is incorrect.

Here's Apple's return policy:

iPhone Return Policy
If you are not satisfied with your iPhone purchase, please visit online Order Status or call 1-800-676-2775 to request a return. The iPhone must be returned to our warehouse within 30 calendar days from shipment to avoid an early termination fee. The iPhone must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation.

Apple will assess a 10% restocking fee on any opened iPhone. Shipping fees are not refundable.

Note: iPhones must be returned to the original point of purchase (e.g., Apple Online Store, Apple Retail Store, AT&T, Apple Authorized Reseller) with a proof of purchase (e.g., Shipment Notification, Invoice Receipt).

Service Cancellation
By returning your iPhone purchase within 30 days from shipment, your wireless service will be cancelled automatically. You will be responsible for all applicable usage fees, prorated access charges, taxes, surcharges, or other charges through the termination date. Please contact AT&T for more information about applicable fees.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Nevermind... found info above.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Fillow

I recently spoke with AT&T too. You can return the phone from point purchased within 30 days, and it should reset eligibility for an upgraded iPhone 4.

I will do this this week, and probably get an inexpensive "Go" phone until the release date.

Will be sure to check back in here if this is successful, as I'm sure there are a few others in this situation.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
I bought my 3g at best buy last year about 25 days before they announced the 3gs, and they let me keep my 3g and return it when they had a 3gs available for me which happened to be about 50 days... but this is best buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
they also have a one time Acceptance Upgrade that they offer which will allow you to buy the 16gb for example 400.00... so craigslist your new iphone (if your past return date) you can prob get 300-350 depending where you live and buy your Iphone 4.... great thing that iphones still hold value especially 3Gs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.