• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I'm building an underground lair...NBD!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
SO just becasue I'm so **** excited, I thought all should know, this summer I am constructing an underground lair, or layer, or lab. It is going to be fairly small. I have not decided if i want to go the 24 CTU route. or the chinese zen route. My current plans are a 7 foot tall 10X6 space. Im planning on digging it all by hand, but I do have a back *** lined up if it gets to be too much work. It will actually be a foot under ground, with grass above, and a grass topped door. It will have a ladder to get in to save room. I have not decided(becasue of cost and labor) if i will build it with cinder block, or frame it like a house, with pressure treated plywood with a 4mil plasic between dirt and wood. The imterior finishing depends on if i go with CTU or zen. My budget to build and basically have a finshed lair with just a desk and couch framed in is $600. Ill probably dump another 300 in for cool stuff, maybe more. (when I say CTU like, I mean the last season of the FOX show 24)

I'll keep everyone updated. My goal for complition is July 14th

DIGGING STARTs FRIDAY!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
make sure the utility companies have come out and marked where their lines are.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hurray for summer projects. ^-^" Good luck on your bunker.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
^ there coming out Wednesday

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sound like it is going to be awesome!! how are you going to run power and internet to it?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@fearless.
It's fairly close to my house, probably conduit from a outlet on the patio trenched to it And Ethernet cable. Unless I can get a wifi signal underground,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sounds like you have put a lot of thought in to it!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To say the least haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Don't try and lure in little girls :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
SO just becasue I'm so **** excited, I thought all should know, this summer I am constructing an underground lair, or layer, or lab. It is going to be fairly small. I have not decided if i want to go the 24 CTU route. or the chinese zen route. My current plans are a 7 foot tall 10X6 space. Im planning on digging it all by hand, but I do have a back *** lined up if it gets to be too much work. It will actually be a foot under ground, with grass above, and a grass topped door. It will have a ladder to get in to save room. I have not decided(becasue of cost and labor) if i will build it with cinder block, or frame it like a house, with pressure treated plywood with a 4mil plasic between dirt and wood. The imterior finishing depends on if i go with CTU or zen. My budget to build and basically have a finshed lair with just a desk and couch framed in is $600. Ill probably dump another 300 in for cool stuff, maybe more. (when I say CTU like, I mean the last season of the FOX show 24)

I'll keep everyone updated. My goal for complition is July 14th

DIGGING STARTs FRIDAY!!!
Don't forget to waterproof against groundwater or possible water table...you don't wanna wake up one morning and have all your cool things flooded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If so...maybe he'll need a good lawyer!;)

More like he'll need the Ghostbusters :p

For those who don't get it, it's a reference to The Lovely Bones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
If you need some good information from those who have done similar, you might consider checking out the Survival Preparedness sub-forum on GlockTalk. Lots of folks there have been perfecting, exchanging ideas, and building since before 9/11 and Y2K. You can find some excellent information on structural design, environmental control, communications, legality, utility installation and security over there. There is a range of info for any budget. Especially, check the SPARC (Survival and Preparedness ARChive) sticky as it has all the good links.

PS - Ignore the crazy posts as there are a few fringe individuals who make things a bit awkward at times.

Survival/Preparedness Forum - Glock Talk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
More like he'll need the Ghostbusters :p

For those who don't get it, it's a reference to The Lovely Bones
Now that was a good movie.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
added it to my RSS list.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Don't forget to waterproof against groundwater or possible water table...you don't wanna wake up one morning and have all your cool things flooded.

Good point - and if you look at MJB's blog, he's talking about using treated Plywood. If this is truly going to be below grade, you need more serious materials and waterproofing.

Imagine you were to fill up a bath tub with water. Now, take a pot and submerge it all the way up to the rim - there would be a tremendous amount of force all around the circumference of the pot as well as the bottom. If there was the smallest crack in that pot, water would come shooting into it.

Now you may just be thinking "it's just dirt", but the water table can rise, and when it does, you're going to have a flooded mess - not to mention structural issues.

Reaction score
Water wouldn't be the only thing to consider.

When you build some kind of underground room, you'll generally need a retaining structure to keep the soil from caving in on you (I'm no doctor but it can be bad for your health;D)...will your wooden shell/frame perform that function?
Have you checked the wooden elements you're going to use, to see if it will withstand the active pressure.

Reason for me asking this is, the soil pressure at 8 feet below is quite high to retain...even the pressure treated plywood will help nothing if you wooden structure fails.

I'm not shooting your project down or anything, just don't want to see someone get burried alive...and being burried alive could get boring after some time if you haven't got company;D.

If you already have considered the structural effects, then rock on! Post some pics soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.