Got the d-link router today

Reaction score
hey guys i finally got the D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router that some of you suggested. Sorry for being a noob and bothersome but for those who already own it can you give me some advice on how to improve performance.
I already checked the manual and did the initial stuff through the web now im looking to kick it up a notch and optimize it and use it to the full extent.
I would like to know how can i make the router make my ps3 a priority over my mac. Do i do it through Qos or whatever its called? just tell me the steps and i'll do it asap.
Any other things i could do to improve my singal?
Heres what i did so far..
changed the 802.11 mode to 802.11n only
enabled auto channel scan
Transmission rate idk what to do there so left it alone(but would changing that help?)
channel width is 20/40 MHz
everything else i left the same because i didn't wanna mess around with it.
Anyway again sorry for that long life story over here but just want to get well aquatinted with it and take this new router relationship to the top ;D
Ok thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to help me out.
p.s. the router speed is a bit slower than my bro's airport acess just saying still cool with it though but if i could get it back to 15mbps instead of 13 that would be nice.
Alright for real this time later

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
15mb/s is horrible for this device. Are you measuring LAN transfers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Upgrade the firmware, that should yield some performance improvements.

OP
R
Reaction score
sorry for not understanding but whats LAN transfers? i just went to speedtest.net and tested my connection.
Whats weird is that when my bro was here the speed was 22mbps around there then it lowered when i tested connection for the airport extreme recently.
I tried updating the firmware i went to the website but it told me that
Current Firmware Version :1.32NA Current Firmware Date :2009/07/09 then when i clicked the check now button to check for new firmware it says thats the latest one. then it says that this firmware is the latest version
If you tell me how to measure LAN transfers tell me and i'll do it asap dude.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you test with speedtest.net, you're not measuring the speed of your router or wireless connection (your LAN), you're measuring the speed of your Internet Service Provider (i.e. your cable/DSL/fiber optic connection to the Internet, or WAN speed).

That speed is a function of the package you purchased from your ISP. Anything over 10Mb/s is actually quite good relative to US broadband connections. Now where the router makes a big difference is in how fast the computers/devices on your own internal network (LAN) can transfer data amongst each other. A good measure of that speed would be in how fast you can copy a file from one machine to the other.

QoS can prioritize certain types of traffic, but I don't know how or if you can prioritize all traffic from one particular device over another.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as range goes, the biggest factor there is in where your router is physically placed. It should be as high up in your home as possible and as central as possible. For example, in a two story home, it should be on the second story, as central to that floor as possible. The worst thing you can do is put it in a basement or near an outside wall.

OP
R
Reaction score
Alright got it. I can't test it out though this is the only computer i got and i dont think i can transfer a file from my ps3 to my mac. Anyway thanks for the little lesson though at least now i know the difference. But hopefully someone who has the router can help me because i went to the d-link forum but people there don't seem to answer questions so i thought i'd give it a shot here for a bit. If not then i might just try to call d-link...trash but eh what can you do

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright got it. I can't test it out though this is the only computer i got and i dont think i can transfer a file from my ps3 to my mac. Anyway thanks for the little lesson though at least now i know the difference. But hopefully someone who has the router can help me because i went to the d-link forum but people there don't seem to answer questions so i thought i'd give it a shot here for a bit. If not then i might just try to call d-link...trash but eh what can you do

That's actually still one of the best 802.11n routers on the market, I certainly wouldn't call it trash.

Your problem is that you were expecting it to fix a problem that it has little to no bearing on. And quite frankly, a 10Mb/s broadband connection is pretty stout - I can't imagine a video game would need anything close to that just to Rx/Tx your movements in a multiplayer game.

I own a DIR-655 and could not be more pleased. I can transfer data wirelessly between my MacBook Pro and my NAS at sustained transfer rates over 50Mb/s. That's not bad at all considering there are usually several walls between my router and where I typically use my notebook.

OP
R
Reaction score
no lol i meant it like this.
that if i can't get any answers then i would call technical support... trash as in dealing with the technical support and being put on hold but not calling the router trash just trying to clear that up haha.
anyway update i found out how to do it but it slows down regular internet so im just going to leave it as is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.