New iPad plans from ATT no more unlimited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
I've always heard that the unlimited was capped around 3 gigs, for the mobile devices. I've never come anywhere close on my iPhone so I'm not really sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It will not affect me my usage is under that even when i use it frequently.

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Think it was capped at 5g from what I have read.

Reaction score
Why would they do such a thing? I just ordered an iPad 3G because I wanted unlimited access to the 3G.....:-(

Well, 2GB might be enough for what I'm gonna do with it anyway...hopefully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Why doesn't At&t just fix their network?? instead of stuff like this.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iow - they want to cut back on streaming content.

Means no downloading of HD movies via 3G on your iPad.

This is one of those times that makes me feel like they're snakes in the grass.

And I didn't buy the 3G version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
This is actually horrible. I see with the iPhone people might be careful and not go over 2GB. But the iPad is a Media Consumption Device. WTH AT&T??

Unacceptable!

And I do have a 3G iPad. I will probably not go over the 2GB But I still feel ripped off!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That does not seem like a good thing at all AT&T. What are you up to? That was one of the big selling points of the 3G iPad.

Reaction score
I bought a wifi ipad because I felt that att wouldn't be able to handle the unlimited data as more ipads entered the network.

I think the iphone limits are due to video chat that will be available with the new iphone os. At & t will not be able to handle the load without some sort of limits.

I have a verizon mifi that I connect my ipad and iphone to when I am at a place that does not have wifi.

I have never come close to going over 2gb on my iphone though, so I don't think the limits will affect iphone users much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
My 3G isn't working yet, although Orange assured me it was setup. I didn't go for one of the monthly plans to start with, prefering to see how the per MB thing works out. Lucky choice since it isn't using anything until I get Orange to fix it.

This is in the UK, so probably a completely different issue :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
The only way they could expect customers to accept such a cut in usage would be to lower the monthly fee by more than only $5.00. They're allowing tethering, but for an additional $20! No thank you, AT&T!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
You can stay on your current $30.00 "unlimited" plan with no change if you want to. I don't see the big deal. Just don't switch your plan and you'll be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
You can stay on your current $30.00 "unlimited" plan with no change if you want to. I don't see the big deal. Just don't switch your plan and you'll be fine.

That's only for people who are grandfathered in, iPads are in such short supply right now especially the 3G model some people are having to wait a couple weeks to get one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The new data plan also effects the iPhone plans. They also are no longer offering unlimited data unless you are grandfathered in. The benefit of the change is that they are now offering a lower priced data plan for $15/month with a 200 MB limit (iPhone only) for users who don't use that much data and don't want to be forced to pay $30/month (now $25). The change is bad for people who want unlimited but are first time customers.

I personally don't use that much data a month so I'm glad for the option of a cheaper monthly data plan on the iPhone. It is notable that they are not offering the two pricing plans on the iPad.

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I feel bad for those who will receive the pads after the 7th.
This wii effect the iPhone to for new users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The new data plan also effects the iPhone plans. They also are no longer offering unlimited data unless you are grandfathered in. The benefit of the change is that they are now offering a lower priced data plan for $15/month with a 200 MB limit (iPhone only) for users who don't use that much data and don't want to be forced to pay $30/month (now $25). The change is bad for people who want unlimited but are first time customers.

I personally don't use that much data a month so I'm glad for the option of a cheaper monthly data plan on the iPhone. It is notable that they are not offering the two pricing plans on the iPad.

Actually, I believe you are incorrect about the iPad only have a single option. I believe the $15 for 250MB is still available since there is no mention of it being taken away. Therefore, the only change is to the formerly unlimited iPad plan.

My biggest gripe is the new iPhone plan. Yes, we get grandfathered in but when you go and get a new iPhone, you have to sign a new two year agreement, forcing you to sign up for the limited plan. The only way you can retain the unlimited plan is to pay full price for a new phone, which is a kick in the pants.

This whole thing is a bait and switch. Lure in hundreds of thousands of customers with the promise of unlimited data and then BAM, slap a limit on their usage. Most users may not go over 2GB currently, but who knows what will happen in the future when new apps arrive that require lots of bandwidth, such as the upcoming Hulu app. Sure, the iPad has 3G, but it's essentially crippled since you can't really do anything with it beyond basic browsing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
AT&T is changing its data plans (with tethering)

AT&T is changing from a $30 unlimited data plan to a choice between $15 for 200 MB or $25 for 2 GB. If you go over on the 200 MB plan, you will be charged another $15 and get another 200 MB. If you go over on the 2 GB plan you will be charge $10 and get another 1 GB. Anyone currently on the $30 unlimited plan can choose to keep it.

If you have the $25 dollar plan, AT&T will allow you to add tethering for an additional $20, but you are still limited to that same 2 GB of data.

Just checked the data usage of my family plan. In the past year and a half I went over 200 MB 5 times, and my wife went over twice. Neither of us ever went over 2 GB. The highest I got to was 1.5 GB and then was when I was in the hospital for 3 days with no wifi and no tv, so I streamed a ton of video with slingbox.

link here

With these numbers, I think it might be worth it for us to switch to the newer plans and save some money every month. I really don't understand why so many people are complaining about it (except for tethering. If you're paying extra for it, you should get more data for it)

OP
BadApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Actually, I believe you are incorrect about the iPad only have a single option. I believe the $15 for 250MB is still available since there is no mention of it being taken away. Therefore, the only change is to the formerly unlimited iPad plan.

My biggest gripe is the new iPhone plan. Yes, we get grandfathered in but when you go and get a new iPhone, you have to sign a new two year agreement, forcing you to sign up for the limited plan. The only way you can retain the unlimited plan is to pay full price for a new phone, which is a kick in the pants.

This whole thing is a bait and switch. Lure in hundreds of thousands of customers with the promise of unlimited data and then BAM, slap a limit on their usage. Most users may not go over 2GB currently, but who knows what will happen in the future when new apps arrive that require lots of bandwidth, such as the upcoming Hulu app. Sure, the iPad has 3G, but it's essentially
crippled since you can't really do anything with it beyond basic

browsing.

Not true you still can upgrade to a new iPhone and keep your unlimited plan I have a friend who is pretty high in ATT and I have been on the phone all day with him, so as far as I know you will be able to upgrade your iPhone and keep your plan, new iPhone users will not have. A choice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD
One article I read about this said you can upgrade and keep your $30 unlimited plan but if you wanted to add tethering to your account you have to switch to the $25 - 2GB plan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.