• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Cant afford the iPad ?? How about China's new iPed ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well yeah, of course it looks similar. All of these devices are made in either the same factories, or darned near each other. They're probably swimming with like, similar or the same hardware in each of them. I don't think Apple has a problem with this knock off per say... Due to the fact that there are many differences between the final products as well as the fact that they cater to different audiences.

For one, the iPed has a plastic body, not aluminum. It also has a slower Intel processor, which likely is better I guess, since there's no aluminum to draw the heat away from the logic board etc..

However, if Google can get the Android OS to perform admirably on a slower processor, then that point is moot. It also has advantages (obviously) over the iPad in that it has an USB port and can recognize mass storage devices etc.. Running Android also provides freedom to the user, which you'll never see on an iPad.

But another 'however', is that everything sort of boils down to how useful the apps are ! These devices lifespans and popularity hinges on how well put together the apps are, as well as how they are presented or updated in the app store they reside in.

The iPed's UI may be a bit more sluggish, but if you put these things head to head with all things being equal in terms of apps and the app stores, then the iPed would almost certainly be the better device. The only other things to take into consideration are battery life, and customer service. And that last bit is where the iPed will undoubtedly fail. Plus... does the iPed offer 3g ? For the price though, I'd almost be willing to try it out.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
Although the price of ipad is a little expensive, I'd love to iPad, iped? sorry, I think i would not to try it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I watched some videos of the iPed, honestly, I wouldn't waste my money on it. My wifes Droid operates more smoothly and is overall more snappy then that iPed is from the videos I've seen. When even scrolling apps is not responsive - let alone launching and using an app - it's a design that needs to go back to the drawing board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I thought we already had iPad knockoffs called the HP Slate and some others I don't remember the names of. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
For me I can't afford the ipad now. But the next best option is nothing. Yes nothing is better then an ipad-rip off.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea im with you 8thark .... Would rather NOTHING than a rip off ...

Its not even worth looking at

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It must be so cheap for a reason

Reaction score
The iPed? I was expecting a stuffed foot with an LED display on it, or something like the Ped Egg with a display. You can soften your feet (Ped) AND surf the internet (i) at the same time--WITH THE SAME DEVICE! Innovative? Darn right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
looks like a piece of iCrap to me. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
iPed? Sounds like Apple trying to break into the cycling market.
You have admire the cheek of this, but no way would I ever buy one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB
Gotta love these cheap knock-off's. Some poor kid will wake up on christmas morning thinking he has an 'iPad' haha

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.