Iphoto

Reaction score
I am wondering if there is a way that I can use Iphoto to organize my photos on my external hard drive with out having to move them on to my internal hard drive.

I have a couple thousand photos on the external and would like to keep them there to keep the internal space open.

Is there a way to use Iphoto 08 to view and edit these photos?

Thanks for your help

G30

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 160GB HD 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3 Snow Leopard OSX 20" FS Moniter
Disk Utility Application

You should be able to get an external HD and partition it as IPHOTO say a passport 320 Gb and copy your iphoto folder and drop it into that HD partition and copy the I photo application and drop in the The partition and when you want to use it just change the disk you are using from the MAC HD to the Passport disc. All this can be done in the utilites folder and use disk utility..That is what I would do and I beleive this should not be a problem for you. Because the Iphoto application in on the disk and your iphoto folder is on the disk (external)....If I am wrong I am sorry cause a am not a newbie but do not have as much knowledge of the OS as other memebers may....G30

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum.
Iphoto 08 to view and edit these photos?
Before you start anything make sure you have your Back Up in place and secure. I have heard of unexpected results when messing around with iPhoto Library.

Reaction score
Problem using external drive with iPhoto.

I have two iPhoto libraries - one on my macbook (personal pics) the other on an external drive (photo projects and a backup of personal pics). I did this to keep my macbook from filling up, but I've recently noticed something weird. When I import photos to the external drive I've noticed that my macbook drive is still being filled up by the photos - but I can't work out where those files are; they're definitely not on my macbook iphoto library. Has anyone else had this issue, or know how to resolve it? Thanks.

G30

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 160GB HD 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3 Snow Leopard OSX 20" FS Moniter
I had a simlier issue when I extracted data from a crashed HD, when I put on the new HD there where pictures on there that I know I deleted and where Nowhere on my HD that I new off, that being said there are places that photos can go that do not come up on Iphoto but are on your HD somewhere. Where I do not know, I am not a IT guy but it was not on my Iphoto folder for sure but showed up in the extracted data..Dont think this helps you but you asked if anyone had a simler problem so, there ya go..LOL..G30

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the tips I will try some of them when I have some time probably next week after graduation.

Thanks so much this helps a lot!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.