Will using my wireless g router as a modem for AE bottleneck the speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.26GHz
After receiving poor internet around the house using my talktalk wireless g router (built in modem) I've decided to upgrade to wireless n.

My question is if I buy an airport extreme base station and run a cable from an ethernet port out of the talktalk router into the uplink on the AE, would the g router bottleneck the wireless n speed of the AE?

Sorry if this is a stupid question and thank you in advance for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If you are running a cable out to the Airport extreme you wouldn't really use the wireless g from the talktalk modem. Usually there is a way to turn off wireless if you aren't using it - on the router. Then just use the Airport Extreme as your wireless base station.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.26GHz
I thought the exact same thing when I originally thought about doing this, but apparently the router talktalk supplied me with is so bad it doesn't even have an independent wifi off switch - just an on off switch which after checking switches off the modem too, thank you nonetheless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.